PowerMac G5 wont wake up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Fairfield, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Fairfield macrumors newbie

I have a G5 Duo 2.7Ghz with 4Gb of ram (supplied with 2Gb, 2Gb added later).
    Sometimes when it goes to sleep it can't be activated again and I have to trip the power switch and restart. When it goes to sleep the machine begins to run flat out as if it was about to take off! Any thoughts on this problem appreciated.

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I have a thought, and it's not a nice one.

You have a machine whose processors are overheating due to a slow coolant leak.

Read through this, or at least skim it. Then open your side panel and check for any signs of leakage.

If you find any, phone Apple and be incredibly nice and patient. Remember that all these machines are well out of warranty and Apple have no obligation to help you. Although it seems like a bit of a lottery, many people have had their machines repaired or replaced outside of warranty, while others haven't. I can only offer the proverb that "one can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" as an explanation. It must be soul-destroying to work on phone-support, where the vast majority of people you talk to are downright grumpy. Be the kind of chatty, friendly person that you'd like to deal with, were you in their position.

I had my 2.5 GHz G5 replaced by a 2.66 GHz twin dual-core Mac Pro over two years ago. I seem to remember that the process took about 3-4 weeks.