PowerMac G5

Stolen Demo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
7
0
Would it be wise to grab a PowerMac G5 now?

I'd probably be going for the Dual 1.8Ghz. I would wait, but I sorta want a new computer now. Will these next updates bear a big signifigance? Will the current Dual 1.8 run Tiger properly?

Should I be waiting or buying? What's the expected release for these new models? June, or earlier?

Thanks.
 

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
395
0
The current PM's will run Tiger without a hitch, so don't concern yourself with that.

I highly doubt the new PMs will be out any later than June. June is the 1yr anniversary of the current line, which is just about antique in the computer world. Not to say that the current line is incapable, far from it, it's just not the best and brightest, as the PMs usually are

If you can handle the wait (no more than 2.5 months), it could very well be a large update. If they were going to do a minor upgrade, they would have done so already in the same manner as the last PB upgrades (very slight processor bump, and loads of extras)

Though you could always get a dual 2.0 refurb so you won't be too far behind after the upgrade. They're only $100 more than the stock dual 1.8.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
The next update, Apple will drop the dual 1.8 from the lineup or at least upgrade it to dual 2.0 with 4 DIMM slots.
 

tingkumajique

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2005
6
0
eh? i would think they'd drop the 1.8Sps and the duals will take over as an entry model...

but i'm not complaining if they make the Dual 2.0GHz as entries... talk about a 3.0DP is in the air...

i am also waiting patiently for the upgrade... just sold my G4 off and sitting here in anticipation... NAB! WWDC hurry up!!
 

Drgnhntr

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
101
0
San Diego
I know a purchaser in our company that has mentioned recent price cuts on every G5 powermac. That usually means that Apple is trying to move units before a new release.

If you are not in a hurry, wait until apple releases new powermacs and have your choice of paying a bit more for the latest, or getting an even better deal on the outgoing models.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
It's a highly personal decision. I'm waiting to see the next update of the Power Mac. If you can tolerate waiting, by all means wait. Hopefully the waiting means that production will meet demand.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Waiting is your best option now since updates are just over the horizon.
 

zigzag

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
39
0
Canada
Just sold my 1ghz tibook today too...

Need a G5... I think I am going to wait it out as well... but the thought of waiting till the end of summer is not a pleasing one, I don't think I could do that... I hope when they release, they will be shipping shortly after.

Of course at the latest release will be WWDC, but I sure do hope its sooner... like... in a couple of weeks :) Keeping watch for the rumors! I think a lot of Mac users are planning to upgrade to G5s this time about.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.