Powermac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Liquinn, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Thinking on getting a G5 as to use as a file server: below are the specs; the seller wants 175 pounds:

G5 Dual Core 2.0Ghz (NOT Intel CPU)
    Leopard 10.5
    iLife 08 (Garageband / iPhoto , iMovie , iDVD , iTunes)
    4GB ram
    1 x 160GB Hard drive
    DVD-RW (Superdrive)
    128Mb Video card with 2 x DVI Ports
    3 x PCI-express Slots
    Gigabyte Ethernet
    3 x USB
    2 x Firewire 400
    1 x FW 800
    Audio In & Out
    6 months Warranty

Good buy?

2. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

3. MBPro825 macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying a Powermac with almost the same specs and almost the same price ($250)... so I'm curious. I'd think so. The only thing I'm uncertain of is how high the OS is able to upgrade. Are these powermacs stuck on tiger 10.4.11?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can put up to 10.5/Leopard onto a PowerMac G5. I'd advise against using one for just file sharing purposes. They are hot and power hungry. If you're wanting a cheap Mac to do file sharing, look into a G4 machine. They are cooler and not as power hungry as the G5's.

5. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

I have the same exact computer running as my file/mailserver (with an additional SATA card and three 3 GB hdds running in RAID, tucked nicely using an old G5 Jive solution). 6 months ago I've paid the equivalent of 150 pounds for the computer alone. I switched from an G4 since it was increasingly slow especially in large file transfers, despite being connected via Gigabit Ethernet.

6. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Does the Apple Magic mouse and the Apple Wireless Keyboard work with the Powermac G5?

Thanks

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes to both, however you'll only get left and right click with the magic mouse, no scrolling or any other multitouch features.

I wouldn't drop £175 for a fileserver which is very power hungry and only has two drive bays. You can build a much more flexible and well suited machine for less.

8. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I see :p

I want the G5 as I want to own a piece of Apple history, and I love the case.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I thought as much. Not trying to discourage you, just saying that there are other options, it is a nice case though.

10. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I have a spare monitor lying around not being used too. :p

Is it easy to install Bluetooth on a G5?

Thanks.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bluetooth is fairly easy to install. You'll need the board, about $12. And you may need the antenna, about $35. The late 2005 G5s do not need the antenna. When buying a board, you can get any Bluetooth board from a G4 iMac, eMac, mid 2007-early 2009 iMac, or some Mac Pro models. The only difference is the colour of the board and the Bluetooth version. Get one that is blue and made for a mid-2007 through early-2009 iMac. That will make sure they are the most compatible and it will give your machine Bluetooth 2.X.

12. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Hey, might have forgotten something. If it is a dual core then it does not need an antenna. The card that he needs is the Airport Extreme which already has bluetooth. I cannot remember the part number but this card can be taken out of the powerbooks. This card also uses an airport runway card to mount on the dual core powermac.

The antenna by the way is embedded on the case at the back. That is also one way to tell if you have the late 2005 machines by looking for the white strip at the back of the computer.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Forgot about that. Aren't those cards a bit more pricey than the standard Airport Extreme and Bluetooth cards?

14. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

15. theusualsuspect macrumors member

Keep in mind the G5's use A LOT of electricity, so if you want a 24/7 file server, you may do better to get a more energy efficient mac.

The case is beautiful though.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

17. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I would not push the OP to buy it.

I am currently using a "better" one than what you are aiming at as my main computer. I have more "modern" macs as well but this quad G5 gets more attention and love.

For your intended use, if I were you, just like the others here have stated I would get a powermac G4 before the MDD (those macs are noisy), put a SATA card in there, stuff all the HDD cage with HDD, run headless and call it a day.

18. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I spoke to the Tom guy who did a video about PPC Macs (and he now has a Mac Pro) on YouTube and he said the price was good.

Should I just buy it for the case and to have access to Leopard?

Cheers

19. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Why don't you get a refurbished Mac Mini? It would be faster and cheaper in the long run...

20. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I want a Powermac G5. The case is gorgeous.

21. bigfatipod macrumors member

eh to a g5

I had a dual 2.0ghz G5. The logic board blew out and the cost to have it fixed was absurd. (seemed to be a relatively common issue, according to other posts)

Going to a 2009 mini was moving ahead leaps and bounds. Not only was that mini much quicker, but it consumed a lot less power. Those G5s were power hungry - and I wouldn't do what you're considering just for a fileserver.

22. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

"Get the best of both"... put a energy sipping 2011 Mac Mini in a gorgeous Powermac G5 Case :)

23. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Come on people give the OP a break he wants a G5 let him have it. He was just asking if the price is good and fair for it. You cannot impose whatever you like on somebody else's throat.

24. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I've made the purchase! :) Anything I should know? :p

25. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Congratulations on your purchase.

First, that is an air cooled model.

Second, it can take as much as 16GB of DDR2 PC2-4200 RAM

Third, you have 7800GT, X1900, QFX4500 and 7800GTX as your upgrade path for the video card.