powermac g5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSaygoodbye, Feb 25, 2009.

1. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I don't get it. Do you want me to send the seller an email to find out more?

3. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

5. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

6. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

That's an awful price! Maybe for half of that.

This sounds fishy, the seller doesn't even know it is called "PowerMac G5", not "Mac Pro G5".

8. JasonK macrumors member

Check mac2sell.net to see what the value of a used mac is. It is usually within $200 or so. It comes up to $450 assuming it has a DVD burner. This guy is trying to make money off of the ignorant. Hopefully no one bites. If you are looking for a used g5, go to lowendmac.com and click on deals. Scroll down to Power macs and click on Best Power Mac G5 deals. All the stores on here are reputable. Personally I wouldn't buy a G5 though. The mac minis have faster benchmark scores and Apple has discontinued the PPC processor and moved to intel. It is a dead technology.

9. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Hah.... maybe the latest models are selling for $2500... but that thing isn't worth more than $800 like the other guy said. Frankly, I wouldn't even bother with it. If you're willing to spend $1600 on that, spend a little more and get the cheapest Mac Pro... about $2300. Or better yet, get a 24" iMac with a 512Mb video card.

Really, do anything except buying that computer for that price.

10. giffut macrumors 6502

Nooooo!

I would not recommend PowerPC anymore. You very likely loose the upgrade path to Snow leopard. Most of the PowerMac G5s are developing serious failure rates nowadays, too, especially the watercooled models. This seems to be one of the first generation Powermac G5 (2x2Ghz).

But if you need to because of its expandibility, don´t spend more than US$600,- (which I would see as the maximum amount of money spend on this machine on CraigsList). Don´t buy it if you want speed. Grab a Mac Mini instead, MacBook or imac.

Used first generation Mac Pros price around US$1600,- on eBay. Or see it the other way round: For US$600,- you can get a Mac Mini, which speedwise eats this Powermac in no time (but looses in terms of HD/PCI expansion, though).

This offer is trying to trick you into buying it wickedly overpriced. DON´T DO IT.

If you are willing to spend around US$1500,-, then buy a used Mac Pro or a fancy 24 iMac.

11. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

ok im definelty not gonna buy it now. Thanks guys!!!