Powermac -> MBP -> Mac Pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by timmillwood, Apr 20, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I used to have a powermac G5 dual 2.0ghz for web and graphic design work.

I then needed portability to work with clients in their offices, so I got a 17" core 2 duo macbook pro I will soon be doing less of that so was wondering is it worth selling up again and moving back to the desk.

If so which one? 2.6 quad, 3.0 quad or 3.0 8core, I have heard the 8 core isn't that much faster.

What ever I do I will be getting a 30" monitor to give me more space to work.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The 4 core 2.66 model with 2-4GB RAM would serve you very well.

If you do decide to sell and get a Mac Pro and you want to get a 30" ACD too, make sure that you buy them at the same time, through the Mac Pro customise order page and make sure you get the extended Applecare. That way the ACD gets covered by the 3 year warranty instead of the standard 1 year. You can buy extended Applecare for the Mac up to a year after ordering but it won't cover the ACD unless ordered at the same time.

You mentioned you were considering the 3Ghz quad and octo models. If I were you, I'd save my money on the extra cost of those and instead buy a second hand iBook, or if you want to splash out, a MacBook. I use a Mac Pro + G4 iBook combo and it suits me great. I love having the portability of the laptop but don't need much power on the go, I use it mainly for Internet use, MSN chatting and watching DVDs. I love having the power when I get home and when I need it.