PowerMac MD ejecting all disk... help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AppleFan0808, Jul 20, 2009.

1. AppleFan0808 macrumors newbie

AppleFan0808

Hey, if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Here is what's wrong, I recently purchased a PowerMac G4 MD, its a dual 867mhz and 800MB of Ram.... What I wanted to do is install 10.5 Leopard, which I know this machine can easily run....

The problem is any disk I put into the Super Drive gets ejected after a few seconds, I tried using another optical drive and it would not recognize the disk, then I tried a external optical drive, and this one would recognize the install disk, but as soon as I would restart it to began the installation, it would load back into Tiger.

I already tried holding C with all three optical drives

and holding option, when I use the external optical drive, you can see the install disk when I hold option, but it wont boot from that..

I have never had any issues with any of my Macs, if anyones how to fix this issue, let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Either the PM can't read DVD's, or it has just gone bad and won't read the disc (if other drives can read the disc, meaning it's not the disc itself).

As far as I know, with the PPC Macs, you would need a FireWire optical drive in order to boot from it.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Yes I agree you won't be able to do it if the external ones are USB. But like he said try out the disc in another computer just to make sure it is not the disc. If the disc works then your CD/DVD drive is probably bad.

4. AppleFan0808 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleFan0808