PowerMac MDD 9800PRO Cooling options

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by marco007, Feb 1, 2009.

1. marco007 macrumors member

i have 9800 pro 128mb with original cooler.
    and its HOT.
    so whats my options?
    zalman VF700/VGA Silencer doesn't fit :confused:

2. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Is the card having display errors? If not then don't worry about how "hot" it feels.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah Apple really messed up their design when they flipped the logic board around. I don't think there is much you can do(as much as VGA coolers and such) since there's not enough room between the graphics card and memory/heatsink.

You're best bet is to install one or 2 PCI slot exhaust fans to get rid of the heat trapped in the case since the MDDs were so poorly designed.

I'm not sure if this will fit though.... http://www.svc.com/zm80d-hp-75.html

4. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

flat fan..

Had the same problem with my MDD. Since a slot cooler only puts the air out behind the card it doesn't do much.

What you can do: Locate the spot on the perforated wall between CPU and your Video Card / AGP slot. Its the corner there. There you can place an additional fan that sucks out the hot air just above the Ram and the GPU heat sink.
    Its a very tight spot so either you take a small fan (50mm) one or you need some "dremel" work to fit in a 60 mm flat fan in. I used the flat one from Zalman.

Good luck!