PowerMac or MacPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aapl.jlo, Jul 4, 2009.

1. aapl.jlo macrumors member

aapl.jlo

Currently, I am without a Mac--tis a shame. I'm looking into getting a desktop Mac that I can 'easily' fix, but I am just wondering, is it even worth it these days to go with an old school PowerMac G5. They're going for so cheap right now on eBay because they're 'out-dated', but they're running dual core 2.0ghz processors, so is it all that bad? That's pretty much all I need, but do they die out fairly quickly or something?

The fact of the matter is, I just need a Mac desperately right now, and I need to know if I get one of these PowerMac G5--will it break within a year or two? I just need to know if some component will burn out on me or something.

I'm just going to be using this to work CS3 on, and do iMovie and photo editing too. None of that hard-core video editing done in Final Cut Pro.

So, would it be worth it to get a 400$ PowerMac? Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Even a Mac Mini is faster than the fastest PowerMac, so get something Intel.

3. aapl.jlo thread starter macrumors member

aapl.jlo

Sigh, I hate how crammed everything is inside of those things...are they a pain to open up?

4. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Go for a Mac Mini. They are faster and they are Intel so can run Snow Leopard:D

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, a massive pain. A Power Mac takes approximately 1 second to open. I have both, and the mini isn't noticeably faster for most things, although it's much slower for anything to do with graphics, since it's the older model with the GMA 950 chip, which is 10X worse than the X800 I have in the Power Mac. Also the hard drive is kind of slow. The G5 has been running for 5 years of heavy usage with no issues, although different Macs have different reliability, of course.

--Eric

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. No reason to get PPC Mac because they are not supported in future and they are slower.