PowerMac - PCIe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattJ11, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MattJ11 macrumors member

Hey, I'm in the UK and i'm looking for a G5 (can't really afford a new intel machine) with PCIe slots. I need PCIe for some audio cards i have.

I looked all over ebay and some other sites. It would appear i have to get a quad core G5 to have PCIe. All the duals seem to be PCI or PCI-x.

Does anyone no where i can get one of these (if possible) for cheap in the UK?

Thanks guys.

Matt

2. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Never-mind, I guess they did make G5 systems with PCI-e starting in Oct. 2005.

3. MattJ11 thread starter macrumors member

Huh?

So i have to look for a late 2005 pro?

Thanks

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Do you think you can hold off/save up long enough to get a used intel powermac? Perhaps the first gen? Unfortunately PPC is a dying breed and may be "obsolete" by this time next year.

At any rate, your best bet is eBay. I don't remember seeing any retailers selling any kind of G5 systems, new or used.

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Before I edited my post, I commented that I didn't think Apple made any Power Mac G5 systems with PCI-e but then after some research I found that starting in Oct. of 05 they did make Power Mac G5's with PCI-e for about 8 months before switching to the Intel based Mac Pro

Sorry for the confusion.

6. MattJ11 thread starter macrumors member

Yeh i think i might have to TBH. I've looked all over ebay and all the G5s that are PCIe are just as expensive as a used Intel so i might as well just save.

Thanks for the help

Matt

7. MattJ11 thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok.

Thanks

Matt

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Saving is always good. Besides, you don't know what'll be happening in six months, so if you can afford to wait, you should.