PowerMac ripoff. I'd buy one!

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
It might be nice if it wernt for that ugly "mercury" logo at the base, and the ugly "explorer" thing. Id still rather have the REAL powermac G5 case though.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
I hate it. Thousands of them out there, and I've yet to find a single pc manufacturer that appears to "get" design.

Mercury seems to have thought that the PowerMac was just some snazzy-looking aluminum box with handle sort of things built in. They missed the point altogether. In trying to capture it's essence they absolutely desecrated the industrial beauty that is the PowerMac G5. Clean lines no more!

Reminds me of a currently running Dell commercial where some unfortunate actor beams with pride while showcasing his brand new XPS notebook. Somewhere in there the voice-over actually refers to it as the "best looking computer on the market" (or something to that effect).

I'd almost have to conclude it's some sort of planned obsolescence ploy... "We'll make sure you're computer looks so ugly and dated that you'll be embarrassed to take it outside in a year or two."

I'm assuming fresh pc design will come about as soon as an innovative, attractive, user-friendly, secure, and stable os from Microsoft.
READ: Sometime when the sun has entered its red giant phase, shortly before Earth is incinerated.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Wow. That. Looks. Horrible.

The only PC maker with some nack for design is Sony - they have nice desktops with clean lines. IBMs Thinkpads aren't too shabby either. You can never go wrong with minimalist black, silver (Mac Mini, PowerMac, PowerBook), or white (iBook, iMac)...

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Just goes to show you how good Apple designs their computers aesthetically. Others can try all they want, but they just can't get that *look* like Apple does, at least not yet....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.