PowerMac, Tiger, Crash on login

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by philstone, May 29, 2009.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a powermac in the office with latest version of tiger installed, when the main user logs in I can see his wallpaper but only the spotlight search icon in the top right hand corner and thats it... When I move the mouse over it it beachballs...
    All other profiles are fine....

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Well sounds like you have a corrupt or damaged login item. Try starting up in safe boot, which disables login items and startup processes. Safe boot is enabled by holding the left shift key on startup until the gray screen with the Apple logo and the mini-gear below. Let go of the shift key and wait 3-4 minutes for the login window to appear, then type in your password. If it shows more than just the dsktop background, go to the Accounts pane in system preferences, and look at the login items for your specific account. Remove any that may have been placed there by software you have installed recently then restart the computer to test your fix.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's more if it's a single user machine, which this doesn't sound like. IIRC, you can hold down shift at login to disable all login items?

Personally, I'd just remove the user's com.apple.loginwindow.plist

4. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Did the trick....

Thanks a lot!