powermac won't connect to Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoeJoe, Jul 5, 2007.

1. JoeJoe macrumors member

Hi,

Just purchased a used pm G5 2.5 w/4.5 of ram.

I set the machine up via target disk mode from my powerbook and everything is working fine except......

It can't seem to locate my wireless network. I have an AE base station(older model) that works great. I can still "see" it and use it from my powerbook so I know it's working.

However, when I go through the network diagnostics I do the following:

1) I select the location "automatic"
    2) I choose the network port configuration "AirPort".
    3) But when I get to the "Select Airport network" section nothing shows up?

I tried just typing in the network name but that doesn't work either.

In system profiler under airport card/wireless card type it says "Third Party Wireless Card". Next to current wireless network it says "wireless network not available".

Now, the back of the machine has a small black antenna with an amber light lit up next to something that says "link". It's a slot, I think(newbie).

There is a screw hole looking thing that has the wireless symbol and it appears I could screw an antenna in that socket.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sounds like the original owner fried the Airport and was using a third party card and when you did the target-disc mode it over wrote the driver. You could open up the mac to see the manufacture of the card and download the needed driver.

Edit: there is a chance that the card will not show up under airport and would have to be accessed like on a PC through the third party software.

3. JoeJoe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks synth3tik.

The guy I bought it from (who I trust) says that it is "buffalo" and it is supported natively by the Apple Airport Extreme driver, and requires no third-party utilities of any kind. It's the same kind of chip used by Apple themselves and supports 802.11b and .11g.

He suggested that I disable encyption on my AE, but I have never enabled it.

I think my next move is to hook directly up via ethernet(?) and see if I can even get that to work.

Thanks again.