PowerMac wont restart - USB ports deactivated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlockerKiwi, Sep 23, 2008.

1. BlockerKiwi macrumors newbie

Hi, after some help....

My G4 PowerMac QS 733 running 10.5 wont restart. My daughter says it was going when she used it, but that a message came up that the USB port which had the mouse in it was being deactivated because it was drawing too much power. I think the mouses cord was damaged. She moved the mouse around the ports, and the computer deactivated them all and then shut it self down!

I have tried plugging in other keyboards and another mouse, but to no avail. I have unplugged everything, including power. Now the when I try to restart, the start up light on both the screen and tower just flash as if the Mac is asleep, but the Mac doesnt start up and I get no start up tone.

Any ideas?

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

This reads to me like a serious hardware issue, possibly a motherboard failure. With no startup power, other than the brief light flash, you cannot realistically use the original install dvd/cd and run a hardware check; nor Disk Warrior. I would suggest you take the G4 to an Apple service technician who can run a series of tests on it.

Second thought - if repair cost is going to be prohibitive, rescue the hard drive for use later, and consider a replacement computer.

Edit: A second, second thought - what about resetting the PMU? See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95035

3. BlockerKiwi thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Thanks Hugh, it worked! I reset PMU and PowerMac restarted!

I now have a happy daughter who is studying professional photography, and her work was on there!

Thanks again.

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Cheers mate! Such is the inspiration of poached eggs for breakfast. :D

5. Macrovertigo macrumors member

Macrovertigo