Powermac won't wake

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sotofish, May 22, 2007.

1. sotofish macrumors member

I have learned alot on these forums but seldom post. Thanks in advance!

I have a G5 dual 2.0 Powermac, not sure what OS- I should know but honestly haven't updated it in a couple years. It's hooked up to a 23" Apple Cinema Display. I went to turn it on yesterday and the monitor did not come on. The comp appeared to be on, the normal sounds were coming from the machine- the eject button worked, the volume buttons were working, hard drive spinning etc. tried moving the mouse, hit space bar, etc.

The LED light on the front of the monitor is on but no picture. I checked the monitor's manual and tried resetting PRAM, checked connections, made sure there was power to the monitor.

Tried restarting the computer a few times, every time it was the same thing- starts up, normal operating sounds, Mac won't wake up.

Called Applecare, they said the steady "on" light on the monitor indicates that it is not getting a signal. Probably a problem with the Powermac (which is not covered by Applecare). They told me to connect it to a different monitor and see what happens.

I brought in my Dell 22" monitor and same thing happened except for a brief moment "Auto Detect Sleep Mode" flashes on the screen then it goes to sleep.

So it seems that the Powermac is putting the monitor(s) to sleep right away at startup. Anyone know anything I can try?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hopefully it's not your graphics card being dodgy. Can you boot into Safe Mode (hold SHIFT before the chime)? That'll bypass some of the usual startup rigmarole and may help us narrow down to where your problem is. :)

3. BoughtAAPL@4.00 macrumors member

See if you can boot from the installation CD/DVD that came with it (or the installation CD/DVD that came with the last upgrade you bought.

4. theISHkid macrumors regular

Isn't there a hard reset inside the actual computer somewhere? I know I had to do that on my G4 before but don't remember exactly what it was called.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew