PowerMacs in August? Video iPod and Intel iBook April?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Citigroup analysts are upgrading their stock recommendation for Apple from hold to buy based on expectations that Apple will complete the Intel transition in August.

According to their research, they expect Apple to release new Dual-Core PowerMacs in August. This would correlate with Apple pushing WWDC back to August this year.

Meanwhile, Citi also expects Intel iBooks "as early as April" along with a new Video iPod in April.

There are expectations that Apple will hold another Media event around their 30th anniversary on April 1, 2006.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
iGary said:
Ugh. I will miss the PowerPC.

:(
Not that I disagree, but why?

Some people may call me a sucker because I grabbed one of the last G4 Powerbooks instead of the then rumored Intel Powerbook (because school was starting and I couldn't wait), but I haven't been happier with any other computer. The FSB might be slow, but I still love it.

Come to think of it, that's what my wife says about me.

bazzakite

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
any rev. Bs????????

Anyone think RevB of Macbook Pros might come in August??

I'm keen on purchasing a MBP but don't have any urgent need (except desire). I'd like to see if Apple has something more in store.

Any tips when the next Rev might come and what it might offer??

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This certainly would be good news. The iBooks are a no-brainer, and I would argue the video iPods are as well, due to the flurry of pics, movies, and rumors in general surrounding them. As for the PowerMacs, I don't think Conroe will be quite ready by August, so I think what will likely happen is Apple will unveil the new PowerMacs at WWDC, however have shipping dates on them out a couple months.

It will be interesting to see what Conroe setup Apple incorporates into the top-end Intel PowerMac to compete with the quad. :cool: Or will it be Woodcrest?:eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
risc said:
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Until all the apps I use are universal I'm sticking with PPC.
Luckily, I am in this position myself. My current iMac will suit me just fine for the next couple of years, so by the time I am in the market for my Conroe iMac everything should have transitioned just fine. :cool:

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Macrumors said:
[Citigroup] expect Apple to release new Dual-Core PowerMacs in August. This would correlate with Apple pushing WWDC back to August this year.

Meanwhile, Citi also expects Intel iBooks "as early as April"
Pretty much a no-brainer. I think most people expected the iBook replacement in April to co-incide with Academia orders and the flagship Mac Pro to be unveiled at WWDC.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I tend to agree with whomever the Citi analyst is that expects an Intel "iBook" next month. As far as the video iPod goes, what is Citi really basing such a prediction on? The article says nothing about the oft rumored feature length films in the iTMS--did the article just neglect to mention it?

If a new "video iPod" is introduced, I believe it will accompany a significant increase in the content available in the iTMS.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
macluver101 said:
Isn't that april fool's day???:confused:
It's also the 30th birthday of Apple Computers.

I personally can't wait to see what the i/Macbook has to offer and the video iPod

[EDIT] Ah, freeny you beat me to it

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Hmmmm - better be good

I think Apple used up some of their good will with the last "fun" announcements. Many in the "tech reporting" industry were a lot disappointed with the offerings, most felt should simply have been announced via a press release. I must say that I agree - the mini going intel is cool, but the rest of it was probably not worthy of a town hall meeting.

if they have another event in just a little over a month later, it had really better be worth people's trouble, or you are really looking at some negative press.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
freeny said:
Of course they are getting this information from the same rumor sites we do:rolleyes:

Ill take the 4% stock jump anyway.:D
I think you are over estimating the amount of information we have. Apple may like a secret, but they love a decent share price and although the MBP temporarily inflated the price of the stock, its overall impact has been non-existent. Steve Jobs did not do that thransition early for us, but for the stock price. If Apple feels that they need to bolster the stock they will leak information in a manner that makes the analyst confident enough to change his/her reccomendatiion. It's all business and politics.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
~Shard~ said:
Well, they could always split the line and have Conroe in the lower 2 models, with a Woodcrest beast as the top end. :cool:
That is the only way I can see it happening. The Conroe isn't SMP is it? So 2 dual core models, and 1 dual CPU dual core model.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
jacobj said:
I think you are over estimating the amount of information we have. Apple may like a secret, but they love a decent share price and although the MBP temporarily inflated the price of the stock, its overall impact has been non-existent. Steve Jobs did not do that thransition early for us, but for the stock price. If Apple feels that they need to bolster the stock they will leak information in a manner that makes the analyst confident enough to change his/her reccomendatiion. It's all business and politics.
So are you suggesting Apple leaked this info based on the stock jump?

Just curious...

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
freeny said:
So are you suggesting Apple leaked this info?
Yes

Edit: you changed your question. The stock jump is as a result of information leaked by Apple, plain and simple.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
risc said:
That is the only way I can see it happening. The Conroe isn't SMP is it? So 2 dual core models, and 1 dual CPU dual core model.
i thought intel was moving toward a quad processor system. By this time would that be out?

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
freeny said:
Yes, but oddly enough, also Apples 30th anniversary.
Yeah, I remember when i first heard Woz talking about that years ago. They really did it as a bit of a joke (the same reason they proposed that their first computer be priced at $666.66). It really drove home how a company's management can drive the feel of the entire company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.