Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stolen Demo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Well, I've been waiting for these updated PowerMacs since February this year and they've finally been released (even though they've been dubbed the worst Apple update in history). I'm new to the Macintosh platform and am hoping to switch and update from my current PC (666 Mhz Pentium 3). This computer has been running strong for around 5 years with little to no problems.

I'm interested in purchasing a computer that will hopefully last me a few years - I don't like having to upgrade every year. I'll be working with the Adobe suite, other than that just the internet and email and stuff. I don't want to play games (otherwise I'd buy a PC). I generally want to spend about $AU 2,800.
The setup I've been looking at is the:

Rev C -- Dual 2 Ghz PowerMac w/ an Educational discount -- $AU 2,814.90

How long would this setup get me?
About the gfx card, would the Radeon 9650 do me fine? Is there likely to be new cards released?

Also, would it be wiser to find and purchase a Rev C -- Dual 2 Ghz PowerMac..? With the money I could save, and with the Maximum 8 GB of RAM, I could purchase a DL drive much later, when I need it.

Also, where should I by my RAM?
And does anyone know of (Australian) Apple Centres that would be selling older Rev B models?

Thanks.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Stolen Demo said:
Well, I've been waiting for these updated PowerMacs since February this year and they've finally been released (even though they've been dubbed the worst Apple update in history). I'm new to the Macintosh platform and am hoping to switch and update from my current PC (666 Mhz Pentium 3). This computer has been running strong for around 5 years with little to no problems.

I'm interested in purchasing a computer that will hopefully last me a few years - I don't like having to upgrade every year. I'll be working with the Adobe suite, other than that just the internet and email and stuff. I don't want to play games (otherwise I'd buy a PC). I generally want to spend about $AU 2,800.
The setup I've been looking at is the:

Rev C -- Dual 2 Ghz PowerMac w/ an Educational discount -- $AU 2,814.90

How long would this setup get me?
About the gfx card, would the Radeon 9650 do me fine? Is there likely to be new cards released?

Also, would it be wiser to find and purchase a Rev C -- Dual 2 Ghz PowerMac..? With the money I could save, and with the Maximum 8 GB of RAM, I could purchase a DL drive much later, when I need it.

Also, where should I by my RAM?
And does anyone know of (Australian) Apple Centres that would be selling older Rev B models?

Thanks.

Try http://www.streetwise.com.au they are in Melbourne and so are Designwyse at designwyse.com.au they both have limited machines more so designwyse.

@DESIGNWYSE
HURRY
STOCKS ARE LIMITED!

PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
256 MB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive/56k modem/OSX.4 Tiger
Was $3199 Now................$2695
PowerMac G5 Dual 2 GHz
512 MB RAM/160GB/SuperDrive/56k modem/OSX.4 Tiger
Was $3999 Now................$2995
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
512MB RAM/160GB/Superdrive/56k modem/OSX.4 Tiger
Was $4899 Now................$4290

• ADD AN EXTRA
GIG OF RAM
FOR JUST $165!
All G5 models
come with new

OR MAYBE JUST GO FOR THE NEWER ONE COZ IT'S CHEAPER AND WITH THE BETTER GRAPHICS. ALTHOUGH IT ONLY HAS THE FOUR SLOTS FOR RAM, THAT SHOULD GET YOU BY. GOOD LUCK!!!! What ever you get it should serve you well.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
In addition:

This is the system I'm looking at getting:

EDU

Summary

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
• 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• 16x SuperDrive Double-Layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
• Apple Keyboard + Apple Mouse
Estimated Build Time:
N/A
Free Shipping
Amount ex GST A$ 2,755.00
GST A$ 275.50
Subtotal A$ 3,030.50

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Damn, JRM, unlike you I jumped the gun and already ordered mine (EDU too, stock). My intentions are to upgrade the GPU, HDD and RAM later as I go along, but don't think I'll be pushing the 4GB RAM limit any time soon.

But that Designwyse deal is pretty good - the dual 2.0 for $2995 with a copy of Tiger! If I'd known about that I might have reconsidered. Admittedly, it's $200 more for a lesser graphics card (though good for me as I have an ADC display) but there are more RAM slots, PCI-X (if that were at all useful to you) and a modem. And I wouldn't have wasted my one EDU desktop for the year.

Stolen Demo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I have two quotes at the moment.

Rev B. -- Dual 2 Ghz PowerMac w/ 1.5 GB of RAM. -- $2,824

Perfect, however this has the nVidia GeForce 64 MB gfx card.

The ATI Radeon 9800XT 256 MB is $795.

Would it be wise to purchase the machine, and then upgrade the card at a later date? Will the nVidia be sufficient? Will there be any gfx card upgrades?

I also have the Rev B. -- Dual 2 Ghz Powermac w/ 1.5 GB of RAM. -- $2,800
and the Radeon 9600 Card Kit for $330.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.