Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blenderman345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hi all, I have a 17in iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, and 1 GB RAM , and I went to PowerMax.com to see how much it could be traded in for. After contacting them I was given a quote for $500 with the original box, keyboard, mouse, and original discs.

Now this sounds good right?
Wrong.

At PowerMax, in the used computer section, this SAME computer, stocks for $819.00 WITHOUT the keyboard, OS Discs, and with 10.4.

Anybody here traded with PowerMax before?
And what do you think of this?

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
mac2sell.net says its in the 500-600 dollar range so that seems like an ok price

i would try to sell on craigslist if i were you for about $600

as for powermax service i have never used them before so i cant comment on that

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Hi all, I have a 17in iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, and 1 GB RAM , and I went to PowerMax.com to see how much it could be traded in for. After contacting them I was given a quote for $500 with the original box, keyboard, mouse, and original discs.

Now this sounds good right?
Wrong.

At PowerMax, in the used computer section, this SAME computer, stocks for $819.00 WITHOUT the keyboard, OS Discs, and with 10.4.

Anybody here traded with PowerMax before?
And what do you think of this?

You could prob get more selling it yourself, maybe 650-700, but you can't expect a resale company to give you for trade the same amount that they are selling for. I would recommend trying to sell it yourself.

zaphon

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003

If you want PowerMax to take the risk of receiving it and reselling it (it might not sell, or the price may have to come down, or they may have to hold onto it for several months before it sells, etc.) than your not going to get retail pricing. I mean next time you go to trade your car in, look at the difference between trade in value and resell value. You can always sell it yourself, and take all the risks associated with doing such yourself if you really want to.

blenderman345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Ok, thanks for the advice, but I apparently got an infraction.. trying to figure out why.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.