Powermax Trade-in Mac Program

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Feb 26, 2010.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

I am considering trading my old macbook to Powermax.com when the new macbook pro is finally available. Is that company trustworthy. The trade in value seems a bit high causing a little suspicion on my part.
    Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Resellerratings does not say anything is wrong with it, the reviews actually seem good.

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I just completed my experience with them. All in all, I'd recommend them.

4. rkuntze macrumors member

See my previous reply to another poster

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

have you seen the ridiculous prices they charge to buy from them?

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

I briefly considered doing a trade with them, but when I saw what they were offering for the trade (before their wellness inspection), I didn't bother. Paired with the prices they were charging for used machines (and what's more - what they were charging for the same machine I was looking to trade in - about twice what they were willing to pay for a perfect example!), I decided to pass.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I always wonder about them since they are less than two miles down the road from here (but have no storefront). I could never see any advantage to me for buying through them since I'm less than a 10 minute walk from an Apple Store with the same or better (since I can get an Educational discount) prices.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

They are a division of the Pacific-Northwest-local dealer chain "The Mac Store" (formerly known as simply "The Computer Store".)

I have traded in four or fives Macs to them over the years, and bought two. (Specifically to/form PowerMax, not counting their main new-only chain.)

Always good experiences with the company. One of the Macs I bought was a refurbished PowerBook G4, and the optical drive failed after six hours, but I had no problem getting them to replace it on-site, rather than sending it in for repair, even though by the time I got back, I was out of the 15-day return period. (I bought it quite literally as I was driving out of town for a two-week camping trip. The kid made it through two DVD movies in the back seat before the optical drive died.)