Powernap - does it work

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aicul, Nov 20, 2013.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

This refer to my iMac 27" with Mavericks

In preferences/Energy Saver there is a PowerNap option. Text next to the option states
    So this option being validated one would expect to find recent emails, backups, etc completed in the morning when you wake it from sleep.

What I observe is that on wake;

• TimeMachine immeadiately goes into "preparing backup"
    • email starts collecting email, some of which several hours old

This, to me, smells like power nap is not working. Actually this is a pain as having email and Time Machine startup immediately after wake is just a (short) time waster.

Anyway of having Time Machine run as it should ? Have email collect mails during the night ?

2. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have done various tests on this playing with time saver settings but still there is no indication that PowerNap actually works as promised.

Anyone else noted this ?

3. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Mine works fine and I'm not even supposed to be able to have it. Everything updates on it's own though, even software updates download by themselves. I just have to click install.

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice to know.

But just to be sure, and I am not putting you in doubt, in the morning when you wake the iMac can you check TimeMachine. The indicated time of last backup should be less than 1 hour ago.

thanks for followup