Powernap survey for rMBP users

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billpaxton, Aug 25, 2012.

?

is your rMBP waking up after PowerNap update?

1. yes

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

hey guys,

since updating to 10.8 ive noticed my rMBP wakes randomly, when i say wakes either

A) the lid is open and the screen turns on and wakes up or
    B) the lid is closed and the apple logo lights up for a limited amount of time.

After a fresh install of ML the only thing i can think of is PowerNap. I noticed it happened once when mail received an email or notification popped up. I can't quite figure out if this is just my rMBP or its happening to others.

Anyone else using a rMBP seeing the same thing?

2. sarthak macrumors 6502

With power nap, the system wakes from sleep mode to update your mail, calendar and other iCloud apps as well as check for software updates. It will go back into sleep after updating.

This is normal behaviour. Although I am unsure whether or not the Apple logo lights up on mine during Power Nap, I'll keep an eye out. I do hear the fans kick in once it is in power nap mode.

3. lfg macrumors newbie

Yep, also seeing random Apple logo light ups. Can't imagine though that this is a desired behavior. But I'd also guess this is power nap related. What's the point of napping anyway if you wake up multiply. Maybe 10.9 will solve this.

So apparently then I have an insomniMac, never looked at it this way...

4. lianlua macrumors 6502

Power Nap does not power up the display or any fans.

If your computer is waking from sleep and lighting up or getting hot enough for the fans to run, it's for something else. Check your system logs for the cause. The wake reason will be documented.

Getting an email at the same time is just because the system is awake and checks for messages. Not Power Nap related (you can turn off Power Nap entirely and you'll still probably see the same behavior).