Powerout Caused Itunes Library to Delete. Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by julian.ol, Feb 15, 2009.

1. julian.ol macrumors newbie

hey everyone. The other day the electricity to the house was turned off with Itunes running on my computer.
    Im running a G5 Mac OSX version 10.4.11 if that helps.
    When i turned the computer back on it read itunes library corrupt and the only option it gave was to press 'OK'.

Out of 8000 or so songs, 3000 remain in the library. There are some songs on the hard drive under 'Music' which is some of the missing songs but not sure if its all of them

My question is, is there any way possible way to restore my itunes library back to its state prior to the power out??? restoring all playlists and everything!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! excuse the novel. Im a little panicy!

Regards Julian

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Unless you have a back up I don't think there's anyway to retrieve a complete copy of your current iTunes files (I have 3 copies because I'm paranoid), if you have them on an iPod there's a way to get them back but there wouldn't be playlists or play count saved.

3. julian.ol thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i see...ah this is not good!!! yeah you see i tried dragging what was in the music folder in the 'finder' across into itunes again but it said there was no memory available or something along those lines.

Yeah i never kept a back up off everything, i always had faith in the old G5! but i learnt the hard way.

yeah i have senuti which may help get some songs back from friends.

thanks for your help anyway!

cheers

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'd make sure your hard drive passes a smart check and nothing is wrong with it. It seems the library file itself is corrupted (something you should back up by making a copy). As for all of your music just have itunes look for music on your HDD and put them in the library. Unless something corrupted your hard drive (not good news) I don't see how the music files themselves could have been erased. Make sure that iTunes creates new music files in the Music-iTunes-iTunes music folder when you import them into iTunes (from iTunes preferences).

As for your no memory available, how much space do you have left on your drive? Dragging the whole music folder is going to make a copy of every music file in that folder and that's what the problem is. I have a feeling you haven't really lost any data on your drive it just hasn't been recreated for the iTunes Music folder.

5. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

That sucks. Actually I had a power outage when iTunes was running and nothing like that happened luckily.

With that said, you'll somehow have to rebuild that library. Fortunatly, you'll probably just have to rebuild your library file by deleting it, and then having iTunes rebuild it for you as the poster said above.

Seriously though, just go buy an external hard drive (now) and use carbon copy cloner or superduper for it so it never happens again. That way you could have just reverted to the known good copy saved on the external if this ever happens. Regardless of how your computer components or hard drive is, it's not a matter of if they will fail but WHEN they will fail.

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Seconded on the external hard disk. If you have a constant connection, I'd also consider Mozy, although it is very daunting to restore contents from a Mozy backup... but better than nothing at all.