powerpc 5500/275

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DoogUK, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DoogUK macrumors newbie

hi, i've recently picked one of these machines up..its in good working condition and has 9.1 installed and is the black coloured one.

I've been told these are collectable...is this true?

What are they worth?

Any info gratefuly recieved ;)

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

3. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

Google came up with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_5500

but nothing much else, you can try to search around in ebay or other places and watch the price of them (if you can find any)

The MacTVs was only 68k IIRC, the 5500 is a PPC Mac and the Black one is called the Director Edition

4. DoogUK thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah its definately ppc and not 68030 like the original mactv.

this model was known as the directors edition in the states.

i still have no idea of its value.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Oh I see it now on Wiki.

A black one in the states? I have NEVER EVER seen one of these.

They must be pretty rare...

6. DoogUK thread starter macrumors newbie

lowend mac reported it as a collectors item due to being black.

its kinda cool.....playing my fav radio station in the background as i type....ahhhh nostalgia!

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

did you look around on ebay or other place that might sell older Macs. this does seem to be a bit hard to find, which could mean that they are a bit on the rare side. i would not know about a price tho, you could get a ballpark figure by (hopefully) finding one on ebay and keep track of it until its sold and look at the selling price to get the ballpark figure.

it also depends on the condition of it and if it includes any extras like the TV tuner, papers, installation disks, memory or other along those lines.

here is one on ebay, but not being sold in the states which could effect the amount it sells for, but it can give you a ballpark figure

Black 5500/275 ebay

just keep track on this and watch the price of it ( it also has a USD translated amount under the price), as of this posting it has 8 days left (but bidding wars usually dont start until it gets toward a day or lower until end) also there was some add-on cards for it i seen wile i was looking for that.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There is really quite a bit you can do with it too. At 275mhz, it will really scream with Mac OS 7.6.1.

9. harleyca macrumors newbie

Power PC 5500

Yeah, I got one of these.

There easy to upgrade. I swapped a mainboard from a 6500 that had a 300MHz CPU soldered onto it and stuck it in mine. The RAM can be upgraded to 128MB (2 x 64MB) but I only got 64MB (2 x 32MB) in mine.

I stuck a 80GB ATA133 hard drive in mine also and got it dual booting Linux. I think the largest capacity hard drive they can take is a 120GB.

I also stuck a PCI network card in it.

The 33.6Kbps modem makes a good hands free telephone using the built in speakers and microphone and of course the TV with it's teletext is neat.

On the downside, the TV and modem don't work under Linux and I haven't got the Network card to work under Mac OS.

It's going on ebay soon. :eek:

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

A 5500 is a pretty nice setup. I like the form factor, and they don't have the issues that the 5200 series did. I just wish they used a better CRT for it - the Sony Trinitron displays they used for their LC 575 form factor machines were great. I know Sony made a 15" Trinitron - perhaps it was too expensive at the time for Apple to use.