Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I had a little difficulty searching for this. But is there a website that list off PowerPC Supported software? Or if you know any popular PowerPC software list away.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
CS4 runs on my work Mac which is a G5. It also runs on my coworker's Mac which is a G4/450. Also runs on all three of my Powerbooks. However, if you have the top tier version of CS (whatever Adobe calls it) there are some apps that require a dual processor.

To be specific when I say CS4, I am referring to the big three. Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

QuarkXPress 8.5.1 and Acrobat 9 are the last of those programs to run on Power PC. Note that QuarkXPress 7.x and above, because of the optimization of the code for Intel Macs, are dog slow on Power PC Macs when dealing with any amount of text.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Photoshop requires duals? Odd, since my MDD is a SP @1.42 GHz and my PB G4 is a SP 1.5 GHz and they installed just fine.

Sure my G5 is a dual 2.5 GHz and yeah it flies on this beast.
I dunno, the main programs i install are Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Photoshop requires duals? Odd, since my MDD is a SP @1.42 GHz and my PB G4 is a SP 1.5 GHz and they installed just fine.

Sure my G5 is a dual 2.5 GHz and yeah it flies on this beast.
I dunno, the main programs i install are Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator.

No, sorry. Didn't mean to imply that (Photoshop, etc). But there are versions of the Creative Suite that come with apps like Premier and AfterEffects. My machine(s) did not met the specs to install those.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
So I thought I would give tenfourfox a try, but I must be missing something. I updated my flash player, but it still does not recognize it. So I am back to safari.

Is there anyway to update the Mail app to work like 10.7 Lions? Or atleast skin/theme it. The old mail app slows me down.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
So I thought I would give tenfourfox a try, but I must be missing something. I updated my flash player, but it still does not recognize it. So I am back to safari.

Is there anyway to update the Mail app to work like 10.7 Lions? Or atleast skin/theme it. The old mail app slows me down.

you should read the tenfourfox faq...plugins like flash are disabled by default.search on google on how to enable it.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
May I humbly suggest

...checking out PPC luddite's blog. He recently posted two lists, one of currently support PPC apps and for those not supported still the last version that did. A huge public service. Here you go:

http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2011/09/os-x-apps-that-still-support-ppc.html

and here

There are other lists out there as well, though none as extensive or with links.

Flash really is not great on ppc, there are tons of workarounds out there now, google or search this site. The flash plugin on tenfourfox has a nasty screen tear when one scrolls, its not Cameron Kaisers fault, rather its a not fixable on ppc bug in Mozilla. At this point Flash also likely has gigantic security concerns now, if you can live without it your better off.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
...checking out PPC luddite's blog. He recently posted two lists, one of currently support PPC apps and for those not supported still the last version that did. A huge public service. Here you go:

and here

There are other lists out there as well, though none as extensive or with links.

Flash really is not great on ppc, there are tons of workarounds out there now, google or search this site. The flash plugin on tenfourfox has a nasty screen tear when one scrolls, its not Cameron Kaisers fault, rather its a not fixable on ppc bug in Mozilla. At this point Flash also likely has gigantic security concerns now, if you can live without it your better off.

Thanks for the links. I am installing Diablo II right now :D, harken back to the glory days of gaming.

On another note, RAM is hella expensive for these things.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
For the most part, I can live without flash.
Key word there is "most." Unfortunately, flash is still a big part of what makes the modern internet go around. Until they get some HTML5 support in TenFourFox, you can't even use YouTube. I like a lot of what TFF is about, but it cannot ever be the only browser on the computer as it is.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

and here

Those links and the flash workarounds are all together in the PPC Faq in my sig =) no need to waste time searching =)

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Key word there is "most." Unfortunately, flash is still a big part of what makes the modern internet go around. Until they get some HTML5 support in TenFourFox, you can't even use YouTube. I like a lot of what TFF is about, but it cannot ever be the only browser on the computer as it is.

There are still sites that needs flash for its functionality, like banking, etc. But for my youtube which is very seldom, clicktoplugin in Safari is heaven sent. And besides, as I said "seldom" so flash is really a small part of my web browsing workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.