PowerPC Applications/Software

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lgwells1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I had a little difficulty searching for this. But is there a website that list off PowerPC Supported software? Or if you know any popular PowerPC software list away.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

3. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Thanks dew. Isn't Adobe Suite CS4 the latest a PPC can run?

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

CS4 runs on a G5 and CS3 requires a G4.

6. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

That's what I hear too.

8. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

I had CS4 running on my MDD. and it runs on my PB G4 1.5 GHz

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

10. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

In the faq in my sig there are some websites with apps for powerpcs.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

CS4 runs on my work Mac which is a G5. It also runs on my coworker's Mac which is a G4/450. Also runs on all three of my Powerbooks. However, if you have the top tier version of CS (whatever Adobe calls it) there are some apps that require a dual processor.

To be specific when I say CS4, I am referring to the big three. Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

QuarkXPress 8.5.1 and Acrobat 9 are the last of those programs to run on Power PC. Note that QuarkXPress 7.x and above, because of the optimization of the code for Intel Macs, are dog slow on Power PC Macs when dealing with any amount of text.

12. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Photoshop requires duals? Odd, since my MDD is a SP @1.42 GHz and my PB G4 is a SP 1.5 GHz and they installed just fine.

Sure my G5 is a dual 2.5 GHz and yeah it flies on this beast.
    I dunno, the main programs i install are Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator.

13. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

No, sorry. Didn't mean to imply that (Photoshop, etc). But there are versions of the Creative Suite that come with apps like Premier and AfterEffects. My machine(s) did not met the specs to install those.

14. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

So I thought I would give tenfourfox a try, but I must be missing something. I updated my flash player, but it still does not recognize it. So I am back to safari.

Is there anyway to update the Mail app to work like 10.7 Lions? Or atleast skin/theme it. The old mail app slows me down.

15. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

you should read the tenfourfox faq...plugins like flash are disabled by default.search on google on how to enable it.

16. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

May I humbly suggest

...checking out PPC luddite's blog. He recently posted two lists, one of currently support PPC apps and for those not supported still the last version that did. A huge public service. Here you go:

http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2011/09/os-x-apps-that-still-support-ppc.html

and here

http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2011/09/os-x-apps-that-still-support-ppc.html

There are other lists out there as well, though none as extensive or with links.

Flash really is not great on ppc, there are tons of workarounds out there now, google or search this site. The flash plugin on tenfourfox has a nasty screen tear when one scrolls, its not Cameron Kaisers fault, rather its a not fixable on ppc bug in Mozilla. At this point Flash also likely has gigantic security concerns now, if you can live without it your better off.

17. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

18. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Thanks for the links. I am installing Diablo II right now :D, harken back to the glory days of gaming.

On another note, RAM is hella expensive for these things.

19. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Key word there is "most." Unfortunately, flash is still a big part of what makes the modern internet go around. Until they get some HTML5 support in TenFourFox, you can't even use YouTube. I like a lot of what TFF is about, but it cannot ever be the only browser on the computer as it is.

20. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

Those links and the flash workarounds are all together in the PPC Faq in my sig =) no need to waste time searching =)

21. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

There are still sites that needs flash for its functionality, like banking, etc. But for my youtube which is very seldom, clicktoplugin in Safari is heaven sent. And besides, as I said "seldom" so flash is really a small part of my web browsing workflow.