Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wizzlemane96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Hi i have searched here and found that my results were very vague. (64 bit comes up with a lot of results) I was curious of any powerpc applications that actually take advantage of 64 bit instructions if any actually exist. all applications for powerpc seem to be 32bit.

Reactions: ADunsmuir

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Back in the day I used a 64bit binary of GCC to compile other 64bit PowerPC applications. There weren't that many 64bit PowerPC GUI applications for OS X. One reason was that Carbon remained 32bit and it took many developers a long time to make the jump to Cocoa. Of course most Macs couldn't even run 64bit software with their G3 and G4 processors. This didn't exactly increase developer interest in making the change. In particular with a lot of legacy code not being cleanly written so going from 32bit to 64bit could be a lot of work beyond a 64bit recompile. And back then not much software required more RAM than a 32bit address space could provide.

Reactions: Wizzlemane96

Wizzlemane96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Steve Boultbee
User level:Level 5

4,100 points
Nov 28, 2009 10:19 AM in response to mbp233
The only non-Apple ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Apache web server (included in OS X & runs in 64-bit on Leopard) and the MySQL database server which can also be had in a 64-bit version for PPC machines.

On my Leopard machine, the only 64-bit apps apart from the ones above are Chess, AU Lab, Quartz Composer, XCode, and Image Capture.
Thanks Guys. I found this on old apple forums too. Sounds like all the "64 Bitness" was just a marketing gimmick for powerpc to try and "keep up" with intel.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.