PowerPC Apps Not Supported

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by englishman, Jul 9, 2011.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I still use Dreamweaver 8 and I'm thinking I may not wish to upgrade to Lion as it won't run on Lion.

Anyone else have a solution?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only solution is the one you mentioned yourself: Don't upgrade to Lion...

3. simsaladimbamba

If you have the HDD capacity, you could dual boot between 10.7 and 10.6 (or whatever your current OS is), if you need to upgrade to Lion for whatever reasons.
    You could also get an Intel version of Dreamweaver via eBay or other sources, but I guess you don't want to go the Adobe version route.

4. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Well that would work for my existing setup but it means I guess I can't get a new MP when they come out as I presume it wouldn't boot with an older OS.

I'm a little mean on upgrading as the price is quite hefty new but Ebay is a good idea thanks

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You could always try a virtual machine to run the older apps in if you were to get new mac.

6. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only real option is to not to upgrade until such time that you want or need to upgrade DW

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Reality is, the way Apple is starting to require users have the latest OS in order to use a lot of new s/w and peripherals. So at some point soon it's likely you will be "forced" to upgrade to 10.7.x. Also Adobe's upgrade policies and pricing is quite crazy now. You really get hit if you skip a couple versions. Your best bet is to take the bite and upgrade DW now while it's still affordable to do so then you can upgrade to 10.7 when you feel comfortable to do so.

9. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Ok - well I'm trying CS5 to see what extra I get and see if the UG is worth it. I don't like the idea of having to hold back on a new OS release being one of the "must get the latest fad" crowd

10. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Yep. As I've stated elsewhere I still use Office 2008 and i1Match software for my 2nd display and neither can be installed (or re-installed in Office's case) which would force an additional $430+ cost for this update.

So I will probably sit this out until my machines cannot install new software updates (Adobe etc) that require Lion or whichever version comes next.

11. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Me too with Office 2008.

12. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Rosetta was made to help transition from PPC to Intel. 12 years is enough time to find and/or upgrade existing apps. Time to move on.

13. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Not really as I have a perfectly good working i1Display 2 calibrator + i1Match software that Xrite decided to abandon. Yes it's their fault but guess whose product I have to buy to replace it? That's right Xrite and the cheapest professional kit starts at $200.

Stop making blanketed statements about topics you don't understand.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

His statement is accurate though. When Apple first adopted the Intel architecture, the main concern was what happens to all the applications written for PowerPC. In a MacWorld article, an Apple rep talked about Rosetta and how it was meant for both the consumer and developers ease into Intel. The rep also said at some point Apple will need to move on and their hope that developers used the transition period to setup the future. 6 years since the first Intel-based Mac's I think is enough time (especially how 6 years is a lifetime in the tech world).

I'm pretty sure we all have products that are in perfect working condition but we as consumers shouldn't complain about being left behind.

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

Just figured out that we won't be able to upgrade at all because our production print systems use drivers that require Rosetta to be installed.

For those curious, it's anything EFI or Fiery controller related from Xerox or Konica-Minolta or other EFI/Fiery print systems.

They only worked in 10.6 if you specifically installed Rosetta. It took EFI months to get the patch released that allowed THAT upgrade.

I am guessing we won't see a new, 10.7 compatible driver for a year or so.

I wonder what will happen when someone gets a new Mac that requires 10.7 to run?

That should be fun.

Don't get me wrong, EFI is to blame, because they are chronically slow, but there isn't really a good alternative when you've got 500K of leased hardware running through EFI drivers...It would probably be cheaper to switch to Win7 and buy new machines than end our lease with 2 years left and jump from EFI.

I guess no new Macs for us any time soon!

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This is not pointed to anyone here but yes it sucks that with each OS from Lion forward, Apple will be dropping support for older hardware/software but is there a reason why people need to upgrade to 10.7? I mean if Lion has something that you need yeah that's unfortunate and I understand but it feels like people are complaining because they can't upgrade to the latest OS because they want it.

17. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

The problem comes when buying new Mac with Lion preinstalled.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I think you mean from any OS forward. With every OS Apple has released, there has been some hardware that was not supported.

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Oops. That's correct.

Then that's a different scenario and that's up to you to decide whether or not it would be worth it to purchase a new Mac. For those looking to upgrade, my point is it's not necessary to upgrade if you're not going to benefit unless you need a feature that Apple has finally included.

20. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

And so was my apparently negatively viewed comment, which makes me chuckle by the way, about an actual upgrade roadblock.

Is it MY problem? Yes.
    Is it Xrite's fault? Sure thing.
    Will it stop me from upgrading right now? Sadly for now yes because I didn't budget for $400 worth of business upgrades. (FYI you budget 12 months in advance well before PPC was officially dropped)

I just wish people would actually try and see the other side without taking it as an all-out attack on Apple (which my comment wasn't).

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Umm...we do see the other side. Don't take it as an attack on you, there's just way too much complaining about Apple dropping support. We are not defending, we're just explaining the reality of it. When do you want or when should Apple drop support of PowerPC? Should they wait for all developers to say "OK Apple, it's ok now"? In reality whether or not you have to plan or prepare funds for the future, 5 or 6 years is a long time and more than enough time to think ok well Apple is moving to Intel and will likely drop PowerPC support soon, what do I need to do so that I'm prepared?

In your scenario, it seems like you're happy with your current setup because it's fully working for you. That's cool, you won't upgrade right away like you said. But many others are complaining because they want to upgrade for whatever reason but they can't because they don't have support. Don't take it as an attack because we provide reason. For someone who has taken minor classes in IT, I know the basics that IT departments need to go through thorough planning well into the future but sometimes you just can't win, either you stay with your current configuration or you scrap what you have an upgrade to what is supported.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

SL dropped support for PPC hardware. It makes sense that Apple would soon drop support for PPC software.

23. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

There are of course lots of options. My preferred one would be to switch to a less bloated code editor than dreamweaver for web development.

24. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

There is simply no reason at all to upgrade to Lion right now. Stick with Snow Leopard. Hopefully in the future the apps you require make the jump to intel.

25. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Apple's policy is usually to support the newest OS and the previous release, however with some newer software, Apple has been requiring the latest OS (such as FCP X and such). So I think people are just uneasy moving forward.