Powerpc emulator

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

So there was a thread for how to run Windows on a mac, and the only two emulators mentioned were Q, awful, and VPC 7, which wasn't all that much better. But I was wondering if there was any emulator software for PowerPC that could run other PowerPC operating systems, such as OS 10.1 Puma running under OS 10.4 Tiger, or would it just have to be a dual-boot?

2. G4fanboy macrumors regular

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

SheepShaver lets you run 8.6 and 9.1 inside OS X, but I'm not aware of anything for running OS X itself.

4. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

OK, so I downloaded Mac-on-Mac, but how do I run it? I tried configuring it correctly and clicked boot but nothing ever happens.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You want PearPC. It'll run on Windows too. Sort of a "hackintosh" before there was a hackintosh.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

PearPC doesn't run on PPC systems, it emulates PPC systems on x86 systems.

I don't know of any general purpose PPC-on-PPC virtualization systems, other than really custom things like IBM's high-end server systems that only run on IBM hardware.

7. G4fanboy macrumors regular

Mac-on-Mac

Acording to wikipedia it needs X11 to run. Also "Mac-on-Mac is alpha-software. Version 0.21 is the latest available to download. Version 0.21 does not run on Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard." So you should try on Panther

8. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

9. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Yeah native is the way to go.

Also, SheepShaver only runs up to 9.0.4, the last MacOS without MMU management. (SheepShaver doesn't emulate an MMU)

10. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

So I read that my iBook G4 cannot run Mac OS 10.1. Is this true? If so, is the only way I can run it through a PearPC on a Windows computer? Some G4s can boot OS 9, how could mine not boot OS 10.1?
    EDIT: This guy seems to be running 10.1 on the same G4 as me.....

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that's true. Should have reread the OP.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The iBook G4s came out later after the iBook G3s. Like all Macs, they require a certain minimum OS to run. While it's certainly possible to install 10.1 somehow, I don't recommend it.

13. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Would applications just not run or something?

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

More like you'd have hardware issues because the kext for the machine isn't there.

15. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Yeah it would be like trying to run Windows 95 on a Core i7 machine. Hardware is to new for the OS.

16. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Ok, so it won't be all that good...but is there still a way to do it? Is it just normal boot up holding 'c'? Or is it more difficult than just that? I would run it in virtualization if there was a VM for PPC, I could run it in Windows, though.

17. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

The last time I used PearPC it was painfully slow. It is VERY un-optimized. It hasn't been updated in over 2 years (and 6 before that). It took over 7 minutes it boot 10.3 on a Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz. Plus no GPU acceleration, no sound, etc. It runs ~15x slower than the host machines CPU. (so in my case it was theoretically emulating a G4 at ~177Mhz).

So yeah try it if you want, it's not very usable though.

18. WMD macrumors regular

The iBook G4 requires 10.3 or later. A copy of OS 9 (including the install CD) won't detect the hardware, and will fail to boot. For whatever reason, OS 9 doesn't seem to have any kind of generic "safe mode" that can boot on any hardware. Perhaps the chipsets are more complicated than on the PC. (For example, you can usually boot Windows 95 on a brand-new PC, but good luck getting anywhere.)

As for the guy running 10.1 on his iBook G4...most likely he is mistaken.

19. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Actually I got in touch with Apple, and they said it is possible, but I would have much better luck with hardware using a early G4 or a G3. :)

20. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've had very hit-or-miss luck with Apple tech support when talking about older hardware - remember, the average length of time someone works in tech support is under a year, and PowerPC systems have been retired for eight years now. It is extremely unlikely that the person you talk to has any actual direct experience with a PowerPC system. (I've gotten patently wrong information about PPC systems from Apple support as long ago as two years ago. Another one around the same time was great, though - when I asked about playing OS 9 games, she directly recommended getting SheepShaver.)

I absolutely guarantee you there is no way to get 10.1 running on an iBook G4. If for no other reason than the graphics chips have no 10.1 drivers.

21. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

In which case it just isn't at all possible to do anything about it? I'm probably getting a G3 sometime this year, anyway, so I would use that for OS 10.1.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What is is exactly what you are trying to run?

23. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Mac OS 10.1 Puma. I think I will do it with Mac-on-Linux, if I can't run it natively.

24. G4fanboy, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

G4fanboy macrumors regular

Why virtualize?

What apps are you trying to make work? Puma is worst than Jaguar or Panther in compatibility. Almost every app working on puma should work on at least another cat. And also puma can´t run too many apps. Final cut pro 3 can run in OS9, Puma and at least I had it installed in Panther and Jaguar, but only tried on Os9

Also there is QEMU for mac called Q but people say it is slow...