PowerPC Forum iMessage Swap Meet

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Altemose, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I had an idea! Since the Marketplace is full of newer technology and LEM Swap is generally overpriced, what if we were to make a private iMessage group chat for buying and selling PowerPC Macs and parts. The requirements would be a bit stricter in terms of rank, but I think it is a great way to buy and sell for our close knit community.

2. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

Any user wishing to be a part of the swap meet should PM me.

3. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I am going to make our private swap meet. PM me for details.

4. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

So far Gamer9430, iModFrenzy, and bunnspecial have joined. All others PM me.

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Very nice! Perhaps it would be a good idea to post in the collectors section in the market place as well.

6. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

This will be limited to active members of the PowerPC sub-forum community.

7. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

This seems a bit limiting -- wouldn't the collector's forum already include most of that? Also -- what about using LEMSwap to post things, and just have the "MacRumors Code" that we post our MacRumors user name when making a post there to identify ourselves to other MR members? Seems like it would be a bit silly to have yet another swap meet site when there are oh so many out there already! :)

8. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

The purpose of this is so that we can all swap amongst each other. The Marketplace is overrun with newer equipment to the point where some of us don't even look at it anymore. LEM Swap is filled with overpriced equipment that is usually outlandishly over the top. A private iMessage group is really simple and worked well when we tried it last night.

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Yes, it worked quite well.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've done well on the LEM swap, but have also had a few outlandish discussions.

When I was looking for some specific CRT monitors, one fellow told me that he wanted either $100 or $150 a piece on them depending on which ones(monitors others had offered me for free for shipping or if I would come and get them) and wouldn't even tell me where he was located.

Along those same lines, I drove up to Southern Indiana a while back and had a really nice visit with a guy from the LEM swap and bought several computers from him.

In any case, though, I like this idea. It's better than bouncing around PMs to people who might have parts when you're looking for something specific. BTW, I posted a WTB last night and Altemose spent about an hour looking because he thought he had one.

11. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I am actually still looking because I may have a flash-able model. :)