PowerPC Forum iMessage Swap Meet

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I had an idea! Since the Marketplace is full of newer technology and LEM Swap is generally overpriced, what if we were to make a private iMessage group chat for buying and selling PowerPC Macs and parts. The requirements would be a bit stricter in terms of rank, but I think it is a great way to buy and sell for our close knit community.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
This seems a bit limiting -- wouldn't the collector's forum already include most of that? Also -- what about using LEMSwap to post things, and just have the "MacRumors Code" that we post our MacRumors user name when making a post there to identify ourselves to other MR members? Seems like it would be a bit silly to have yet another swap meet site when there are oh so many out there already! :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This seems a bit limiting -- wouldn't the collector's forum already include most of that? Also -- what about using LEMSwap to post things, and just have the "MacRumors Code" that we post our MacRumors user name when making a post there to identify ourselves to other MR members? Seems like it would be a bit silly to have yet another swap meet site when there are oh so many out there already! :)
The purpose of this is so that we can all swap amongst each other. The Marketplace is overrun with newer equipment to the point where some of us don't even look at it anymore. LEM Swap is filled with overpriced equipment that is usually outlandishly over the top. A private iMessage group is really simple and worked well when we tried it last night.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
Central New Jersey/ North Virginia, USA
The purpose of this is so that we can all swap amongst each other. The Marketplace is overrun with newer equipment to the point where some of us don't even look at it anymore. LEM Swap is filled with overpriced equipment that is usually outlandishly over the top. A private iMessage group is really simple and worked well when we tried it last night.
Yes, it worked quite well.

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've done well on the LEM swap, but have also had a few outlandish discussions.

When I was looking for some specific CRT monitors, one fellow told me that he wanted either $100 or $150 a piece on them depending on which ones(monitors others had offered me for free for shipping or if I would come and get them) and wouldn't even tell me where he was located.

Along those same lines, I drove up to Southern Indiana a while back and had a really nice visit with a guy from the LEM swap and bought several computers from him.

In any case, though, I like this idea. It's better than bouncing around PMs to people who might have parts when you're looking for something specific. BTW, I posted a WTB last night and Altemose spent about an hour looking because he thought he had one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.