PowerPC G3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ComputerHermit, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ComputerHermit macrumors newbie

Hi I got this iMac G3 at a flea market this pass weekend. I'm a Linux user been one for awhile. I used a G4 befor but it was not myne I do not have the panther CD I need one because who ever had this Mac has all their stuff on it.
    Anyway I made myself a account as admin I know sudo I have a websight I used Linux to make and work on. Wheir do I find antie virus for this and antie spyware? because when I put the Mac on my LAN I also have Linux PC I also have my Linux PC acting like a router. the iMac is messed up I need to find out how to find software so I can do a fresh install it has 10.3.9 Panther. I updated it!

Also when the iMac is on the LAN their is all this multiecast igmp mdns, because I'm sitting right thier on my Linux running etherape watching it all go down unless this is normal does the iMac have a virus? I'm new to the iMac and I like this to start out with and I also want to use it to work on my webpage. Can anyone give me advice? on what to use to clean this iMac G3

Also the last time someone used this was in 2001 I thought that was crazy because it still booted up was able to remove their account.
    But the I can't rename the HD anyone know how I can put my account as HD not the old admin?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Short answer:
    No need for anti-virus software on Macs (any version of the OS). No anti-spyware software exists for Macs.

Your lack of punctuation and spell checking makes your post difficult to read/understand.

3. Queso macrumors G4

The mdns will be the Bonjour service, which you can turn off in the Directory Utility applet in the Utilities folder if it's really bugging you. It's used by several programs on a Mac to locate network resources. Also are you saying that there is already anti-virus software on the Mac that you want rid of, or are you asking where you can get anti-virus for OSX? If you mean the latter you can use ClamAV just like on Linux.

4. ComputerHermit thread starter macrumors newbie

dynamicv: yes it is the Bonjour service and it is bugging me thank you I will do that.

Code:
    GimmeSlack12  	
    Short answer:No need for anti-virus software on Macs (any version of the OS). No anti-spyware software exists for Macs.
    Your lack of punctuation and spell checking makes your post difficult to read/understand.

I don't think so you can see I was trying to make it readable give me a break plz

I'm only looking for help that is it

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I wasn't trying to be that guy, I just don't think I answered your question all the way cause I didn't really understand what you were saying. That's all.

Regardless the iMac G3 is a bit dated. You'll probably have to buy OS X for it to fresh install on it. You could use it as a music server I suppose.

6. ComputerHermit thread starter macrumors newbie

GimmeSlack12:
    You are not that guy. I understand and that is cool you say that but I'm happy about this old G3. I aways wanted to learn iMac because I used Linux for the longest time.
    I want to use it just to do my web sight but I use Linux for that and the mac could open other door's. But I'm going to a few computer shop's or at my collage I should find the software.

dynamicv:
    That did the trick thank you :)