PowerPC G4 given to Mac Novice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by markst33, Apr 26, 2014.

1. markst33 macrumors newbie

Hi there. My friend (who is not a techie by any stretch of the imagination) was given a Power PC. G4 by a friend of hers as they are upgrading. This is the one http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_1.25_20_fp.html

I said that I would do some research for her on it.

Firstly is it user upgradeable. She is a keen photographer and would be looking to run Photoshop on it which is RAM hungry. This model only has 256mgs of RAM so is it possible to put in at least 2gigs of RAM ?

If it is possible to upgrade the RAM, what type am I looking for ?

Secondly the o/s on it is System version Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6r73). Is there a max to the type of OSX which can be put on it. I use a 21.5" iMac which has Snow Leopard on it (10.6.8). So I am familiar with this o/s. Can hers be upgraded to this or is there a limit ?

These are my questions for now so thanks in advance. I am sure I will have some more later.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can upgrade that machine to 2GB. You need one stick of 1GB PC-2700 SO-DIMM and one stick of 1GB of PC-2700 SDRAM. Both must be low density. When upgrading the internal SDRAM stick, you must reapply the thermal paste to the two contact points or it will overheat. Look on iFixit.com for a guide on how to replace the ram. The guide for the 17" G4 iMac will suffice.

The highest version of Mac OS X that iMac can run is Leopard, version 10.5.8. It is similar in design and feel to 10.6.8. While Photoshop can run on that machine, it may be a bit underpowered for larger images.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Yes, you can put 2GB of RAM, but Photoshop is not a good use for that machine.

Maximum OS is OS X Leopard, 10.5.

4. markst33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is PS not a good use for that machine ?

Where is a good place to buy RAM ?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Photoshop CS4 will be the max you can run, assuming you install Leopard. Photoshop 7 will not work in Leopard.

Others here will suggest that CS2 or CS1 are better optimized.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You will have to find an old version of photoshop, that computer is around 10 years old, plus it's not a particularly fast computer anymore.

Also you either are giving us the wrong OS version or you gave a link to the wrong computer, the one you linked to shipped with 10.3.1 and Macs can't run an earlier version of the OS than they shipped with so if yours is really running 10.2.8 it is an older one than what you linked to in the OP.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

If you can, go onto the machine and go to the Apple logo>About this Mac. Check the version number again. If you are positive it is 10.2.8, click on More Info... and check the Model Identifier. It will say PowerMacx,x. Where the "x"s are in my last sentence, there will be numbers. I.e. PowerMac6,3 or PowerMac4,2.

If it says 4,2 or 4,5, the max RAM it will take would be 1GB; that is 2 512MB chips. This machine has 2 different slots, one inside the machine that is a full DIMM (desktop) socket, and one that is user accessible which is a SODIMM (laptop) socket. Otherwise, the machine will take 2GB, but it would be 1GB in a DIMM and 1GB in a SODIMM.

If it also only says 4,2 or 4,5, it will officially only run Tiger (10.4). You can put Leopard (10.5) on it, however you will have to spoof the processor speed to fool the installer. If it says 6,1 or 6,3, it will officially run Leopard, so no spoofing would be required.