Powerpc G5 doesn't recognize ssd hdd

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mitridig, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mitridig macrumors newbie

what can i do? is there any chance to force it, recognize'm?

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Fireup disk utility and check if it is mounted. How do you know that it is not recognized? By the way, can you post your computer specs and of course the specs for your SSD. And one more thing an SSD is not a HDD, so that you could be correct next time.

SSD = Solid State Drive
    HDD = Hard Disk Drive

They were all storage drives though.

3. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie

i did that but unfortuantely Disk Utility doesn't recognize it at all, actually it doesn't see it.
    Can't give you the specs of the G5 cause Hard disk destroyed suddently.
    The SSD is a Corsair Force Series 120Gb SATA III and the G5 is a Dual 2Ghz PowerPC.

4. Vapor matt macrumors regular

Iam not 100% sure here but isn't a G5 SATA-1 and your new drive SATA-3 i know SATA-3 drives can run SATA-2 speeds but iam not sure if they can run SATA-1

Iam not 100% on that so a google might be worth a look, or drive spec check

5. Subish macrumors member

6. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried it successfull on a Mac Pro and formatted it, all ok!
    After that i placed it on the G5 with no success!!!

7. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

For the future, your computer is a PowerMac G5. G5 is the processor, PowerMac is the computer. Helps us help you!;)

Some drives don't automatically switch down to SATA-1. Some HDDs I know of have a jumper on them to force it down to SATA-1 speeds so the PowerMac can recognize them, but your SSD may not have that. See if there are any pins you can jump on the drive.

It may just not be compatible at all and you'll need another brand/model of SSD.

8. Fire Angel macrumors newbie

It may simply be, as stated above, that your PowerMac isn't compatible with the drive. When that Mac was made SSDs simply weren't available on the general market, so it wouldn't be a surprise if there is a compatibility problem.

Look at the model info on the SSD manufacturer's web site to see if there is a compatibility switch or jumper setting that may help. Reading more carefully I see that's already been suggested, though repeating it might help a tiny bit.

9. mitridig thread starter macrumors newbie