PowerPC G5 incompatibility with WinXP Emulators

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redhumv, Jul 16, 2009.

1. redhumv macrumors newbie

I recently purchased two used G5's that are doing great running 10.5.7 but I'm running into dead end trying to track down some software that can help me run a windows application.

Can anyone direct me to a usable emulator that will allow me to emulate WinXP on my PowerPC G5?? ... Everything I've tried thus far requires the Intel chipset which the PowerPC does not have. Thanks!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could try to track down Microsoft Virtual PC, but I'm not sure how well it would work on Leopard. Although, any software you do find to run windows on a PPC processor is going to be very slow, just a forewarning.

3. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

I think you'd be hard pressed to find something, as you said before most require intel to run Windows, although I do remember when I first got my G5 back in '05 I used something called Virtual PC, it ran alright but not great.

Hope this helps!

4. vailance macrumors member

vailance

the virtual pc from microsoft is alot stable and faster compare to Qemu. I used it on my G5 dual 1.8ghz and dual 2.3ghz.. all i can say is 2.3ghz one run alot faster and the xp virtualisation is not as fast as comparing to a P4 native system. i can say maybe a Pentium3 with 1Ghz processor speed(based on 2.3ghz). the dual 1.8ghz is just slow.

My experience on my daily app on winXP pro.
    1. Firefox loads ok, surfing heavy javascript web is laggy, average its fine.
    2. Vmware Hypervisor client load slow but still ok.
    3. Any program that you launched like firefox will made ur G5 CPU > 80% and the G5 is hot. Even you have more ram on ur machine, the virtualPC wont take anything more than 512MB(at least for me)

if you plan to use it smooth, i will suggest u get the G5 quad or at least a dualcore 2.5Ghz with min 3GB of ram for smoother experience on both mac os x and virtualPC. hope it helps.

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

There is a version of virtual PC 7 bundled with XP pro on the torrent sites.

6. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

This one is good and works well:

http://www.kju-app.org/

As others said it will be SLOW due to the nature of what it has to do:

translate x86 to PowerPC on the fly.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

PPC was horrible for running Windows. My dual G5 with 4gb couldn't run Windows 98 any faster than my G3 iBook. I ran it on Qemu which is free and will run it but not at a usable speed. I was gonna install XP but since it couldn't even run Win98 at a decent speed, I gave up on that. If you want/need to run Windows on your Mac, get an Intel Mac.

I never did try Virtual PC or how much better it would run Windows so I can't comment on that.

8. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Even my G5 can only muster enough power to emulate a 500mhz PIII machine.