PowerPC G5 Video Playback

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by username1q8b, Jan 25, 2012.

1. username1q8b macrumors newbie

hello. long time reader, first time poster.

i have a powerpc g5 running at 2.1ghz with 2.5 gb ddr2.

now my question is about increasing the speed of my old system, which i know is a daft question but hear me out. i can play some 720p but not all. im looking to play 720p mkv files like highres television shows i would get off TPB [through VLC]. but the playback is just the slightest bit too slow. like the SLIGHTEST bit, not pixel-ly, it just hangs on to every other frame a fraction of a second too long. im pretty sure if i had a 2.11ghz it would be smooth. im not running any other programs while trying to get a smoother playback, even closed peerguardian to get that extra 5%. im not overly technical but i can certainly follow any instructive tips given.

im not looking for any costly upgrades or add-ons, but more tips to improve the playback just a touch. maybe VLC settings or a better player for mkv files [which are the only available for new 720p television. im not looking to play bluray rips over brrips, just a small boost to help the mkv files and a couple of the chunkier avi/mp4..etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It depends on the bitrate of the file, like my dual 1.8 G5 can play a 4GB 720p 2-hour movie, file, but not a 6.56GB one.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

2.1GHz.. Hmm, no PowerMac ever came clocked at 2.1GHz but the last 20" iMac G5 did. If its a PowerMac, is it single or dual processor/core?

4. username1q8b thread starter macrumors newbie

pretty sure its just a single
    heres a shot of some of my systems info if it helps [i can include more info if needed]:

[​IMG]

Jethryn Freyman: you seem to know what sort of files im trying to play. i can play all BRRIP's from uploaders like 3li, vision, flawl3ss, refill, npw, feel-free etc which are usually 1.5-3.5gb. [here's an example of something i can play and it has a bitrate of nearly 4000[just a pirate bay link]]. but no bluray x264's and most of the time even those small mkv uploads from YIFY that still have x264 but are only 700mb. could the x264 be the thing my computer cant handle well? because the 720p mkv tv shows i would like to watch also has it.

simsaladimbamba: Movist sounds familiar and i believe i tried that last time i went about this problem which i tend to do maybe twice a year. but i will check in to it again to be sure.

this is all just me trying to avoid the fact that i have to man up and throw down some money on something newer and shinier.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yup, you've got the last iMac G5 with the single 2.1GHz processor. That's good because its the fastest G5 iMac you can get, but since its only a single core that's why you're having trouble playing back HD video

6. username1q8b thread starter macrumors newbie

shame. oh well. i bought this computer used and its served me amazingly well, but it seems with the slower playback and the fact that everythings going intel ill have to look into the new g5's.

any suggestions for tweaking VLC's playback? or computer settings; clean desktop, empty trash, airport off? anything that might let me watch my 720p mkv files of "Person Of Interest" instead of the 350mb ones tonight?

7. Nova77, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

Nova77 Guest

One suggestion : get CorePlayer. 20 bucks, and you don't need to buy a new computer for HD playback. I would bet it can play even 1080p FULL HD without any lag on your G5. Check out "mobihand" website.

Edit: It plays 99% of 720p content I can throw at it, even those poorly encoded, and I'm on a G4.
    Edit #2: VLC under OS 10.5.8 Leopard runs way faster than under Tiger 10.4.11, just so you know.

8. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

zen.state offered this tip a while back:

It makes quite a difference when you're flirting with the limits of your CPU.

9. username1q8b thread starter macrumors newbie

!!!! then thanks to zen.state and i am currently tuned in to the fourth episode of "person of interest" [in 720p!!] !!!!! now i can catch up in style.

simple fix but absolutely amazing. cant believe i finally solved this.

thank you ThunderSnake for the fast response. and Nova77 for the additional tips for even higher resolution :D