PowerPC G5 will not boot (from CD, single-user, verbose) - is it dead?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by svman8, Jul 31, 2008.

1. svman8 macrumors newbie

My PowerPC G5 (10.4.11) will not boot. It gets to the grey Apple screen, and then freezes there, no progress dial, and the fan starts racing after a couple of minutes sitting there. Here is what I have tried so far and the results:

-Will not boot normally - freezes at grey screen
    -Will not boot from CD (DiskWarrior, 10.4 Install disc OR 10.3 Install disc - which came with the G5, each time it freezes at grey screen
    -Will not boot in safe mode - freezes at grey screen
    -Will not get into single-user mode, freezes at "DART-enabled"
    -Will not get into verbose mode, freezes at "DART-enabled"
    -Holding option when starting up allows me to select a drive (hard drive or CD), but then freezes at grey screen when attempting to boot from either drive
    -Option-Command-Shift-Delete does nothing when starting up, again freezes at grey screen
    -I CAN get into open firmware & eject cd, cannot boot up from there - it freezes at the grey screen with a circle w/a line through it
    -Attempted to reset NVRAM from Open Firmware, "reset-nvram" and "set-defaults" both were ok, then it froze after "reset-all"

I have tried everything I could think of and everything I can find - Does anyone have any possible suggestions or ideas for what I can do?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I have the exact same problem. I tried these things so often, that I finally managed to boot 3 times. The first two times, the computer froze after some minutes and wouldn't boot again. But the last time seemed to be successful, until I set the startup volume to the only one there is, because I had a folder symbol shortly before the grey Apple. After that the folder symbol disappeared but it won't boot anymore... again...

I don't understand why setting the startup volume to the one he booted 3 times in a row before resulted in not booting anymore.

I'm now out of ideas and suspect a hardware failure. Any ideas?

I think I might try to reinstall in target mode, but that's the last idea I got. And I don't know if this will help, if it's really a hardware problem.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

So I brought it to a technician and he found out that it's either the logic board or the graphics card. He couldn't test these two. I'm now contemplating wether I bring it to another technician who can test those or just get a new iMac...

Well, just wanted to clear that up in case someone else stumbles across this thread.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I chose to try another technician. It's not the graphics card but either the logic board or the processor board(?). As either would cost almost 1.000 €, I will buy a new Mac instead.

Anyone knows when the iMac will be updated...? :eek: