PowerPC G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ceapy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Ceapy macrumors newbie

When you buy the package that has the PowerPC G5 (has no tower, just one big monitor screen which contains the HD, etc) does it come pre installed with the Tiger 10.4 (or any OS), or does it come with a CD which is used to install the OS? Thanks.
    Also, how do you start the powerPC from a USB stick?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

All Macs when purchased new should come with the OS pre-installed AND with the restore discs as well

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. California macrumors 68040

California

If you have the late 2005 Powermac, I think I have the OS discs for it.

You cannot start a PowerPC Powermac G5 or any non Intel mac from usb. Firewire only external start up or discs. I am not too sure you can start up an Intel Mac from usb either? Maybe on the Windows side?

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Are you purchasing this Mac new or used. If your buying used it could have any OS (10.3,10.4 or 10.5 being the most probable). It could also come with anyform of restore discs. But MacDawg is right in that if new, or bought from a well-known seller that lot should all be included :D

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like an iMac to me.

You can boot to a Mac OS X USB external drive, but I don't think you can do so to Windows.

6. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks guys. The Mac was purchased new. I was just wondering if it came with CDs.
    The recovery discs, what are they? do they re install the OS x and revert your computer back to how it was in the factory?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

They're exactly the same as the retail Mac OS X disks, but they also include iLife. And they'd be DVDs, not CDs. They look like this:

Attached Files:

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Yes, that is essentially what they do. The first one tends to install Mac OS X and the second one all the included applications (ie iLife).

9. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for your help everyone. Now I've just got to look for those discs.