PowerPC Macs in TV shows and movies

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Daniël Oosterhuis, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

That looks more like a Ruby G3. I guess it'd be hard to tell though, since they have the same ports and everything, so they're similar aside from the color externally. :p

2. zen macrumors 68000

zen

This thread is fascinating and also kinda sad, because it reminds me of a time when Apple were innovators and their computers were exciting. Those coloured G3 iMacs! The big G4 towers!

Late 90s, early 2000s, Apple were exciting.

3. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

I think you are right. Looked at some pics and the strawberry is a brighter red toward pinkish. Really like that ruby color. I have a maxed out graphite G3 which does the bare minimum it can do but I've always liked the G3's. Production designers used them a lot in movies. They just looked really cool. That was a great era.

4. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Emac and iMac (PPC or Intel ????) spotted in Love and Other Impossible Pursuits / The Other Woman (2009).

TOWa.png

5. bobesch, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

The mysterious Macintosh-Portable
    in "Single White Female" from 1992 with Bridget Fonda
    That's really old stuff from a time, when I was working myself with a small HP Omnibook 430, Modem and my first expensive steps in the internet, also trying CompuServe/R.I.P.
    (BTW my Omnibook was pretty nice smaller than this Apple-portable, but was also introduced two years later ... http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=123)

The Home-Office
    01 HouseNY.png 02 HomeOffice.png
    The kind of portable iMac predecessor I could find anywhere else on the web ...
    03 portable 01.png 04 Portable Connecting02.png
    04a portable 02.png 05 Portable 03.png
    ... that could be easily connected to with by using the cable unplugged from the phone.
    06 Portable Connecting01.png 07 Portable Connecting04.png
    08 Office01.png 09 Office02.png

6. danckwerts macrumors regular

danckwerts

Wow! Star Trek was more technologically advanced than I realised!

7. Daniël Oosterhuis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Saw an iBook G3 in a commercial from Scandinavian furniture store Jysk:
    P_20160831_204544.jpg

Apparently they like their Macs, as this isn't the only picture of furniture they have with a Mac in it. Here's the picture from the site and a few others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

9. bobesch, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Yeah, and it's still working! Got a PCMCIA-Type-I adapter for CF-Cards to expand disk size far beyond the factory 80MB.
    But it needs good lighting since there's no backlit screen.
    I used Word2, Works3, askSam5 in 1994 for writing and archiving stuff.
    Email with Eudora and Trumpet-winsock to connect to the internet via serial modem - with no-one to send emails to ... :)
    I wonder, if this ancient think could be connected to anything now...
    At least RTF would be able to be used as an universal way to swap documents and askSam could be run on the mac-side in a VirtualMachine with Win2k.
    I loved the attached mouse. It was unique - made me go for this at it's time unbelievable ultraportable device.
    I remember sitting in the library for hours and writing notes just powered by the battery.
    Unfortunately no more battery-pack available now.
    (An external 10.000mAh battery-pack (to recharge iPhone/iPad) would be superpower for this device.)

Attached Files:

10. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

It's got an infrared port - will probably connect to an old Nokia.....on the go Terminal and BBS!

11. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Oh, Terminal/BBS - that's stuff haven't ever used a I have no clue for what ... And all my Nokias are gone.
    IR would be nice to connect a Palm, but there's no PalmDesktop for Win3.1
    Thought about network connectivity... but a device from 1994 with no ethernet-port!?

12. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

You could probably get a PCMCIA card for ethernet and/or modem etc.
    My HP200LX from 1994 handshakes via infrared with my Nokia 6310i but I can't get the right AT string to make make it dial....works fine with my Psion 5 though - although that is more sophisticated being from 1999 :)

13. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Yes, "l'art pour l'art" to try teaching these old devices some new tricks ...
    I once spent a lot of effort to find a PCMCIA-wifi solution for my TRGpro without success.
    Currently I can't figure out, how to connect the Omnibook/Win3.1 to anything ... - here are those things I would be looking for:
    - establish LAN/WLAN connection
    - get access to shared folders
    - get access to webDAV
    - check email
    - web
    With os9 this is possible without effort, but Win3.1

14. Daniël Oosterhuis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Since 68k Macs have snuck up on this thread before, I guess I'll cheat just a bit by mentioning this one.
    In Jurassic Park, the computer systems are fairly realistic, as they can be seen running their original operating systems and corresponding software. The computers in question are the SGI Crimson, Indigo Elan, and two Macintosh Quadra 700s, as well as a Thinking Machines CM-5 Supercomputer array churning away in the background.
    The SGI systems can be seen running IRIX 4.0.5, and are either being used to type commands in the prompt, or churning away on FASTA DNA sequences. But the Macs in question also obviously show that System 7 is being run on them. At one point, Nedry is supposedly watching a CCTV cam of the East Dock while communicating with the BioSyn employee waiting on him, but it's obvious it's just playing a video file and not actually a live stream, which is funny.
    Nedry1.png Nedry2.png Nedry3.png Nedry4.png Nedry5.png

15. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

16. amagichnich, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

In some of german comedian Dieter 'Didi' Hallervordens videos there were some macs too, quick search in YT I found two videos.
    In the first one he is trying to get a job and the iMac is just for decorational purpose:
    dh1.PNG
    In the second one he wants to buy a computer but doesn't know anything about computers. In the end sequence the salesman tells him he is better of with a typewriter or letters. I'd buy a G3 iMac just for having a digital typewriter :D
    dh2.PNG

My third picture is not from a movie but I found no better place for it. It's german website cyberport's 404 page - a modded eMac without speaker grills. In 2017!!!
    cyberport emac.PNG