PowerPC Only App on Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imaketouchtheme, May 2, 2012.

1. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Instead of rummaging through thousands of articles that are helpless, I thought I'd make a thread to see if anyone has the answer handy.

How do I run a PowerPC app on Lion? I'm wanting to play Risk II, but I'm getting the error due to not having Rosetta support.

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't.

4. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

There's no workarounds at all? I WANT TO PLAY RISK SO BAD.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there are no workarounds. If it's that important to you, go back to Snow Leopard.

7. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the A+ advice. :rolleyes:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a way to achieve your desire to play it. Only you can decide if playing a game is important enough you to abandon Lion and revert to Snow Leopard.

9. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not. That's why I was being sarcastic when responding to your advice. ;)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is a solution, whether you elect to use it or not. Snow Leopard supports Rosetta, where Lion does not.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like it or not, GGJ is correct, your only option (short of buying a PPC based mac) is to downgrade to Snow Leopard. No need for the sarcastic response when he was just trying to help you

12. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I've been reading posts here that recommended OP to downgrade to SL...

But what if the OP has the latest Mac that comes with Lion..? (S)he can't downgrade to SL right..?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe its still possible to downgrade, but it may require a work around or two two and there could be issues with stability.

14. trooperx17 macrumors newbie

install mac os x snow leopard 10.6 into a Virtual machine using Virtualbox.

15. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

To game? No. It'd first be passed through a virtualized pc, then emulated from PPC to Intel. You'd have like 1 FPS. Dual boot w/ SL would be the easiest way.

16. trooperx17 macrumors newbie

I agree.

17. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Attached Files:

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read post #15?

19. MichaelLAX, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Yes!

Do you play Risk II?

20. MichaelLAX, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Risk II on a modern day Macintosh

To the OP:

What version of OS X were you using to play Risk II in?

10.?

and on what hardware?

and with what version of Risk II?

I have done a bit of research on your behalf.

It seems Risk II was released in 2000, which should mean that it was written for Mac OS 9 or less. I cannot seem to find a version greater than 1.0.x (although it is possible that they wrote an OS X version and kept it within the 1.0.x numbering framework, which is a strange decision).

That would make it subject to being run in the Classic Environment in OS X, which only ran through Tiger, 10.4. The Classic Environment was eliminated in Leopard 10.5.

However here is a post suggesting he ran it in Leopard (10.5) with some graphics/colors problems:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=634625

And here is a post suggesting these problems continued into Snow Leopard:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=812707

So if it runs in Leopard and Snow Leopard, there must be an OS X version of Risk II (since the Classic Environment was eliminated in Leopard).

Here is a screenshot of Risk II performing well in Snow Leopard:

[see first attachment]

But here is another screenshot of the similar color problems running in Snow Leopard on different hardware:

[see second attachment]

And similarly, here is a screenshot of similar problems with Snow Leopard in Parallels 7 in Lion:

[see third attachment]

So if we can figure out why it sometimes works in Snow Leopard, then maybe we can get it to work with Snow Leopard installed in Parallels 7 in Lion...

Attached Files:

21. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting. Yes, the version I have is intended for Mac OS X. It probably has something to do with the GPU I'm assuming. I'm on a Mac Mini 2.4C2D, 8GB RAM running Lion.

22. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Did it run on on your Mac Mini in Snow Leopard before you upgraded to Lion with or without graphics/color problems?

If you did not attempt to run it in Snow Leopard on your Mac Mini, please provide more details about the Mac and version of OS X the last time you were able to run it.

What is the Risk II version number?

23. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

This is the first time I've tried to run it and I've only had Lion on this Mac Mini.

According to the Info pane, it was created in 2000 and it's version. 1.0.2.

24. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Very puzzling that a program released in 2000 would still run on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

You should try booting up your Mac Mini in Snow Leopard (if you can install SL on a handy external hard disk) and see if Risk II runs properly on that hardware/operating system configuration. As you will see from my experimentation, it worked properly on one system running SL but not the other...

Is the Dual-Boot suggestion (either partitioned internal HD with Lion on one partition and SL on the other or booting from an external HD) workable for you, or are you looking to play Risk II concurrently while running Lion?

25. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I have another Mac Mini running Snow Leopard as well as a MacBook and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard I could try it on. It's not too important to use it on this one, I just have a dual monitor setup for it and it would be more convenient.