Powerpc substitute?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by session101, Sep 3, 2011.

1. session101 macrumors regular

hey guys im geting mad at the window that says that lion does not support powerPC. is there a substitute for this at all? im trying to play older mac games and its unsupported..!!!:mad::mad::mad:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

SheepShaver is your best bet. It runs the Classic MacOS from System 7.5.2 through MacOS 9.0.4. No version of MacOS X is supported. PearPC supports MacOS X 10.3, but this emulator is still very much in the development stage. Binaries are available for Windows [32-bit]. For the Mac, it must be compiled from source.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sheepshaver never really worked

I'd recommend a cheap a G4 out on the ebay. Less hassle then trying to get sheepshaver to work.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Then how have I gotten it to work? Works fine for me. Not perfect (Escape Velocity refuses to play properly, though Override works fine), but what is?

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

• Install Snow Leopard Server in a virtual machine
    • Run PPC apps

6. session101 thread starter macrumors regular

is it just me or is it redundant to run a virtual mac on a mac?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're saying its working fine then telling me that a game refuses to work. I think you're making my point ;)

Yeah, you can get it work for some things not all, and depending on how much work is required, its far easier to just pick up a cheap G4

8. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Most definitely, it DOES run OS 9.0.4 (not 9.1 or 9.2.2, though). Of course, there's no hardware acceleration for games, etc., but it works, and it isn't hard to set up if you know what you are doing.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The point is that Snow Leopard has rosetta, so if you virtualise it you can run PPC apps in that virtual machine.