PowerPC Support/Software

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by amtrakgangsta, Jan 9, 2009.

1. amtrakgangsta macrumors newbie

amtrakgangsta

I am a recent mac convert (albeit a novice computer user), and am really enjoying my experience so far vs. windows-based machines. The upfront cost of apple hardware is prohibitive in my case, but I have done an alright job of getting by with G4 and G5 powerpc powered Macs.

A disturbing trend I have noticed lately is that many 3rd party software makers are only designing software for the intel-based architecture, and will not run on the older IBM chips.

Does anybody have an idea if this trend will continue, or are companies cognisant that there are some pretty competent and serviceable powerPC's out there?

I am trying to decide if I should keep maintaining my current G4 and G5, or if I want to take advantage of all the 3rd party software out there, should I bit the bullet and purchase a intel-based mac?

Thanks!

2. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

PowerPC architecture is dead. The trend is Intel only.

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

It's obvious that Apple is making the move towards Intel-only. Snow Leopard is Intel only, therefore, making PowerPC obsolete. You should bite the bullet now and get a Mac Pro to replace your now aging G4/G5. You'll be glad you did. :p

You could potentially use those machine as a server of some sort, unless you plan on selling the machines.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I would think the trend of Intel only software will increase exponentially over the next year or so.

5. amtrakgangsta thread starter macrumors newbie

amtrakgangsta

Thanks!

Man, this board has a faster response time than my own in-house IT department at work! Thanks for all the advice!

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some comments:
    • A computer is not obsolete until it no longer does what you need it to do.
    • With the shift is to Intel processors, each year we see less support for the PPC platform.
    • If you have software that works fine and does what you need to do on your current computer, then there is no need to upgrade. On the other hand, if you need functionality that is unavailable on your current platform, then more than likely you will need to upgrade.
    • FWIW, personally, I still use a 7 year old PM933 and a 5+ year old PB15. Both work fine and do what I need them to do. I also have a year old MBP15. The key is get what you need. Older hardware can still fill your needs.
    Good luck with your decision.

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Hmm all the programs i use mainly 3rd party still work on ppc... interesting and for people saying ppc is obsolete not yet since snow leopard hasnt even come yet they work on leopards which will still be supported when snow leopard comes out and who knows maybe theres a chance they made it for g5 as well.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

From a hardware aspect, PowerPC will not see any advances. Apple no longer produces any hardware based on the architecture and most 3rd party companies not longer manufacture stuff for it. Ati stopped at the X1900. Newer Technology produced the 7448 G4 processor for PowerMacs, but many other aftermarket companies have moved on to Intel accessories.

I think the software side of things has actually progressed fairly slowly. Sure, it may be faster then Apple predicted at WWDC in '06, but many companies have been good at providing Universal Binaries. Microsoft released Office '08, Adobe has CS3 & 4, and even Apple's iLife and iWork '09 support G4/G5 processors (some features are limited). After this year I don't look for Apple to release any applications for PowerPC. When that happens you will see other developers follow quickly. You will have to weigh the pros and cons of what your hardware can currently do and the cost of upgrading

I think one of the things I've learned about Apple of the course of my lifetime is that they are always willing to drop stuff, change things and move on to new technologies. Their history has a strong track record of this: 68K to PPC; end of the floppy; OS 9 to OS X; end of Classic; PPC to Intel; end of Firewire for consumers (started with the 5G iPod). I'm sure the future will see much of the same

I have agree with sushi, "A computer is not obsolete until it no longer does what you need it to do." My everyday computer is a 12" PowerBook and it will probably continue to be until it dies (already went through two hard drives). When the day comes I can no longer surf the internet, type a Word document, and chat on AIM then I guess it will be time to update. I'm sure if you polled every user on this forum you would find a few that still use OS 9. Why? To quote Steve himself, "It just works."

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Wait a while and see how it plays out? I am going to wait to find out how much long Apple will support Leopard on Power, as in bug fixes and security fixes. If they drop all updates for Power then I'll drop Power in a heartbeat. If not then I will use my trusty dual G5 until they do drop all support.

In the meantime I may pick up a Mini if it receives a much overdue update. I don't really care for all-in-ones so the iMac is a non solution for me. If not I may take a look at EFI-X and build something to fill the Apple Gaping Lineup Hole.

10. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

My 1.8GHZ SP G5 is running final cut express 4 and Photoshop CS4 very smooth. You just need to ask yourself if you really need intel. I'm typing this on a MacBook and all I do on it is text editing and surfing the web, while my G5 does all the hard stuff like video/photo editing.

11. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Im getting cs4 i didnt know if it would run fast or not thanks... :D

12. amtrakgangsta thread starter macrumors newbie

amtrakgangsta

Thanks for all the input! Well, I decided to stick it out with my powerpc machines, and then all of a sudden I've ran into 3 software compatibility issues...

1) Smartpen software requires intel processor
    2)Netflix silverlight app for instantly watching movies requires intel processor
    3)Live mesh freeware requires intel processor (I like LogMeIn, but I can;t bring myself to pay another monthly fee (want to find a reliable software file transfer program between remote computers).

Just thought I'd update all on my experience since my initial post!

13. Toronto Mike macrumors regular

You might want to consider the option of contacting the software companies directly and requesting them to sell you a previous version that will run on the PPC chip. I did that with zBrush and they responded immediately that I could purchase the previous version, even though on their website there was no indication of the previous PPC compatible version being available.

I know I've made my decision to stick with my G5 based on the costs of replacing the hardware, as well as having to upgrade much of the software. My G5 does everything I need it to do now, and probably for many years to come - based on my own needs. You need to weigh your needs and costs within your own personal time frame. Money is hard to come by these days. Consider carefully before handing it over to someone else for the sake of having the latest and greatest.

Mike