PowerPoint 2004 on Mac and PowerPoint on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozone, Aug 31, 2007.

1. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Hi... I know others have been in this situation. What do you do to get pictures in your Mac created PowerPoint to show up on Windows PowerPoint machines? I get that stupid Quicktime-TIFF compressor error when I open the document in Windows.

I tried to use Grab to select a portion of the picture into PP2004 for Mac, but I still get the same message in Windows.

I also tried to insert a picture instead as others have suggested instead of copy and paste, but since iPhoto'08 is now one giant library, I can't select an individual picture.

Any solutions? Please. This is really frustrating.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

This really ticks me off. Doesn't microsft office say full windows capability. Then why wont it work!? I look in to it.

3. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I've had this happen going between Office:mac X and Office 2K. The solution is to use jpeg rather than tiff images (preview will do the conversion for you.) Also, while I'm complaining about Office, drag and drop works on OS X but is pretty broken in the Windows version so don't try and drag a chart from Excel into PowerPoint. It works fine for the Mac but open it in Windows and you're royally screwed. Solution is to paste it as an image. You have to hold shift when you copy the chart in Excel as it will copy it as a picture.

Frankly, Office is crap. I know everyone loves it but it is so infuritating, inconsistent and old fashioned that I try to avoid it unless someone insists on having a doc they can edit. Mostly, I do docs for my own use and for that I have iWork 08.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

People use Office for reasons having nothing to do with their love lives. By hook and by crook, Microsoft has driven its competition into the dust. If people share computer files as they conduct business, then they want assurance that their files are transparently interoperable. So they use Microsoft because everyone else uses Microsoft.

5. ozone thread starter macrumors 6502

ozone

Thanks GD. Could you detail what steps you actually undertake? For example, I did paste in some jpeg images, but the same error came about. Not sure about this preview-conversion bit.

Thanks for the warning about Excel.

I actually don't have much choice. I work in a university and do a lot of industry related research - it's pretty much PowerPoint that I have to work with because that's what everybody else has.

And finally... how do I get at individual photos in iPhoto'08?

Thanks!

6. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Open the file in Preview and then just 'save as' and select jpeg. It is frustrating the Office docs have this problem with images. You might also want to try Insert -> Picture -> From file which might also solve the problem.

Thats why I have iWork 08 and am still running Office 2K for Windows under Parallels. I use iWork to generate my docs, then export them to Office format if someone needs a copy they can edit and check it is OK with Office 2K. Generally, iWork does a very good job. When it comes to KeyNote, those are largely for my own use anyway but again its PowerPoint import/export is very good.

Just go into the Events (double click on one) and you can access the individual photos. You can drag them into email from there, or elsewhere if necessary.

7. ozone thread starter macrumors 6502

ozone

Thanks GD. What I meant about the last point is if I cannot copy and paste into PowerPoint and have to use the Insert option, then how do I access individual photos in iPhoto when the Insert window doesn't allow me drill down into specific Events?

(I figure the workaround is to copy selected photos out of iPhoto into a separate folder which is then accessible from the PowerPoint Insert command.)

Thanks again.

8. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

There was a workaround posted on silvermac which works pretty well. You can find it at:

http://www.silvermac.com/2007/accessing-iphoto-08-library-from-other-applications/

Follow the instructions there and you should be able to browse your way into the events and find the photos you want.