PowerPoint 2007 Presenter tools

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bunsen, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Bunsen macrumors member

I have Office 2007 Home and Student installed on Win XP pro through Bootcamp/Parallels.
    Everything works great EXCEPT the dual screen presenter tools in PowerPoint.
    When booted into Windows on my MBP, no matter how I configure the second display in the control panels, PowerPoint refuses to present the slides on the external display, going to the projector. It always presents on the laptop screen, leaving the desktop image on the external output.
    I know the second monitor is set up correctly, I can drag windows over to the other screen. The only way I can present is if I mirror the displays, but I'm so used to using the presenter tools in Office 2008 on the Mac side, and I need to be able to jump quickly to specific slides without the audience seeing it. :mad:
    Choosing the second monitor in the ribbon does nothing, and even weirder is that when I check "use presenter tools" it un-checks itself immediately.
    Can anyone else confirm if it's a bug, or just me?

2. RCHertzy macrumors newbie

Powerpoint Windows via Parallels and two monitors

Yup. Same issue. I often represent a team when presenting so rely heavily on the Notes section. Previously I converted all ppt files to the Mac version of Powerpoint so presenter tools would work on two screens (from a MacBook Pro). But much better if I could use the original Windows ppt files my colleagues create. Once in Parallels, to show the Windows slides on the projector either use through Mirror (Mac display) mode, or use show in a window (Powerpoint) mode and drag the presentation window to the projector screen. I use Parallels 3, and Windows Powerpoint 2007.
    Not sure if this is a Parallels issue or a Windows Powerpoint issue. I have posted my problem to the Parallels support site today.

3. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Parallels Desktop 4 doesn't let Windows see both physical displays. It's a limitation in the software.

Supposedly, VMWare Fusion 2 (or the latest version, if that's not it) has better support, but I don't think it's fully implemented. Might be worth a shot, though.

4. xialutron macrumors newbie

hi,
    I have been looking for this option for quite a while now and is just found out yesterday.
    So as i came to this forum hopping to find an answer to that question i will tell you how I proceed.

First you will need to have the new parallels 5, with this you can now have access to the second screen. For that you have to go to system preferences -> display -> in the window of the projector select the tab arrangement -> uncheck the "mirror display

Now you will have a different content on your computer screen and on the projector screen.

Go to parallels and under "virtual machine" select configure -> full screen -> and check "use all displays in full mode" -> click ok
    now select the view "full screen"
    Once you are in full screen you just have to go to powerpoint and enable the presenter view.
    You should be able to select a second screen.

If you have any question :)

I hope this helped

5. erwinvanlun macrumors newbie

works!

It's like to confirm that the suggestion of xialutron works for me!

Same situation:
    Mac OS 10.5.8
    Parallels 5.0.09370 for Mac
    Windows XP sp 3 in VM
    Powerpoint 2007 Student Edition

The only thing is screen sizes, but hopefully I'll figure that out.