Powerpoint 2008 font spacing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by enlivingston, Nov 14, 2008.

1. enlivingston macrumors newbie

When I create a powerpoint 2008 (.pptx) file on my Mac and then move it to a Windows machine the fonts and spacings get all messed up. I'm using a common font (Arial) which is present on both machines. My Windows machine is running MS Office 2007 and I tested it on a machine that runs MS Office 2003 as well. Both PCs screw up the fonts at random. Why is this? How can I work around this?

The results are the same if save my powerpoint file as a .ppt on my Mac. I don't think this is a Office version problem; I think this is a Mac/PC problem. What's up?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It could be just a difference between the two versions of Arial you have. You could try copying the Arial TrueType font onto your Mac, disabling the current one in FontBook, and then fixing it on your Mac if it displays differently.

Another possible long-shot solution is to check whether PowerPoint 2008 lets you embed the font... argh, forget that. :(

Try my first idea and if not, then you're going to probably have to fix it on the PC.

3. enlivingston thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give that a try, but it's not only the font size, it also deletes spaces.

I could write a sentence in a text box in ppt on my mac like this:
    "I want to, go to the store"
    and when I open it on the PC it might look like this:
    "I want to,goto the store"

No rhyme or reason as to when it decides to delete spaces or change font sizes.

4. enlivingston thread starter macrumors newbie

The work around is this:

1. Buy Parallels
    2. Don't install the crap that's on the Parallels CD
    3. Install the latest build of Parallels from the website
    4. Use the license number that came with the purchased software.
    5. Install Windows
    6. Install Microsoft Office
    7. Use PPT in the Windows Environment
    8. Wonder why you invested all this time and money in a Mac

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The seemingly-random deletion of spaces is an issue with Windows PowerPoint. Make sure that your copy of Windows Office is up-to-date with all of the latest service packs to get rid of that problem.

Regards,
    Nadyne.