PowerPoint file (PPTX) Crashes on Open

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wagswvu, Jan 22, 2009.

1. wagswvu macrumors newbie

When I get emailed a Power Point (PPTX) file and try to open it with my iPhone it will crash back to the home screen (Also, if I try to forward the same email with the attached it will also crash). Now I have found that if I reboot the phone it will then open it, but once I close the file and try to open it again it will crash till I reboot the phone. Does anybody else have this problem? or any suggestions?

2. macdim macrumors 6502

Depending on how big the pptx file is, the iPhone may be running out of memory. This is particularly obvious since it works after a reboot. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do.

3. wagswvu thread starter macrumors newbie

It is 6.6mb in size

4. wagswvu thread starter macrumors newbie

I have also noticed that I can't forward the email with pptx attachment as it will crash too... Would this be the same problem?

5. macdim macrumors 6502

Try opening the presentation on a desktop or laptop and open it in power point. Then, convert it to a .ppt file. Send that file to yourself and open it on the iPhone. If it opens, then it probably has something to do with the .pptx extension. If it doesn't (and crashes), it's most likely the size of the presentation. Also, if you can forward the .ppt fine, then Mail.app obviously has an issue with forwarding this type of attachment. Either way, I don't think there is much you can do. If the .ppt way works, then you may just have to have everything converted into that format before viewing/forwarding on the iPhone.

6. rpusbach macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

I am having the same problem, but I do not think it is size related as suggested below. I have a powerpoint file that is 795Kb and it crashes. I can load it fine on a PC or Mac. Anyone have any suggestions?