Powerpoint presentations not shown correctly in Keynote

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cashel, Dec 13, 2007.

1. cashel macrumors member

Whenever I open powerpoint presentations in Keynote, everything on them is skewed differently. Text goes off of the slide, charts and headers are occasionally jumbled together. Every time I open a powerpoint file I also get errors saying "minimum and maximum axis values were recalculated and your charts may look different".

Is there anyway to have Keynote import the Powerpoint file so everything can be viewed as it should?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use NeoOffice for my PP presentation viewing...its much better...

3. cashel thread starter macrumors member

I'd rather not have to install something else to fix the problem. If I were going to do that, I'd just install Office 2004. Is there anything I can do to make Keypoint do what I want?

4. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

5. cashel thread starter macrumors member

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is hard enough to get a powerpoint presentation to look the same with a different version of office. The issue is exacerbated when using a program that is essentially converting the file.

There is no option to adjust the importing of the file so unfortunately I believe you are stuck with this at the moment. Do you have access to the original version of powerpoint it was saved in because you could try saving it with slightly different options to see if that would help.

7. cashel thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately no. The only thing I use powerpoint/keynote for is for class lectures where the professor has all the slides up for download after class, so there's no telling what he used.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Unfortunately I think your best option is to try something else. As psychofreak suggested NeoOffice is worth a try as it is free. If that doesn't work then I think you will have to get Office for Mac.

Going by your first statement with the error message it sound like there are embedded excel files which is the cause of the problems as it is having to convert a format within a format that it is in itself converting.