Powerpoint/Presentations on Mac Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macbook1, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Macbook1 macrumors newbie

So I have a Macbook and Powerpoint for Mac. I need to do a presentation for school which is on powerpoint. At my school they only have Windows computers. So if I do the presentation on my Macbook will it all be compatible with the school computer? The reason is that on some computers the Word document opens, and on some it doesn't at school. If it doesn't work, is there a usb connector or something which you can put the screen projector wire into (I don't know the name of it, you know where it's got all those dotty things in and the two things that screw in the sides (bad description I know, but there usually blue?)
    So then I could just plug my Macbook in and then put it straight onto the screen. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

2. Degradable macrumors member

You need to go to export in the powerpoint menu and make sure you select the microsoft compatible file type.

You should have no troubles if you do this :)

3. Macbook1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply :)
    anybody know the name of the wire/lead/plug thing?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You're thinking of either a VGA or DVI connector. If you have the latest aluminum MacBook, you will need a DisplayPort to VGA or DisplayPort to DVI adapter, depending which your school's projector uses. For all other MacBooks, you will need a Mini DVI to VGA or Mini DVI to DVI adapter.

Whew!

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the projector uses a VGA connector, but that's a good thing to double-check before you go out and buy an adapter. ;)

5. Macbook1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again for the quick reply, looks like you have done a fair bit for me :) It looks like a VGA adaptor is what I need, so I'll be sure to go buy one tomorrow in the London Apple Store. Thanks again.

6. sverker macrumors newbie

powerpoint file. ppt

I created a PP file using Office 2004. Now it will not open the file. Message that it is corrupted. Tried Office 2008. NO luck.

Any advice, please?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You may be SOL on this one, chances are the file is shot. Do you have it backed up?