iPad mini PowerPoint Question...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lina231, Jan 19, 2014.

1. lina231 macrumors regular

Hi all!

So I bought my iPad mini last semester (at the end of the semester) for school and am truly attached to it (my calendar is on it, pages documents) this semester. However, my classes usually have power points, and although they do come up on my iPad they do not come up say like in a specific app so that I may be able to edit them or take notes. I bought a keyboard for my iPad just so that I could avoid taking my MBA with me to class (its a huge distraction).

Bottom line, is there an app I can use to pull my power points up on from my course website?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

There should be a way to open it in keynote- or is that not what u mean

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you by chance have an Office 365 subscription? I know that they offer a free application for all 365 users. I am not sure but can the SkyDrive application by Microsoft open it up?

4. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Ya that was the second thing I was gonna ask... I think u actually can do some editing in Skydrive to though

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I can tell you that SkyDrive offers a free copy of Office online. It is very basic. Give me a while and I will report back on what works.

6. lina231 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi everyone!

Thank you for all your replies. I am downloading keynote right now, and it is taking forever but I will see if that work. I have the microsoft office 365 subscription for my macbook, would I be able to use that on my iPad? even if the box said that its just for 1 macbook?

7. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

ya-just download the office 365 app and it should work.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I just took a look. The SkyDrive application will simply open and view a PowerPoint. Your Office 365 subscription includes the Mac programs as well as the iOS application. Go ahead and download it.

9. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

thats what i was sure of- although i prefer making Power Point and Word Documents on laptops

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you bought a decent keyboard case you should have no problems typing up Word and Pages documents. Just understand that if the Office 365 subscription expires you lose access to the application.

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

If you did not need to edit I would suggest saving the PPTs as PDFs. I have used Keynote to bring in PPT files, and there are so many font changes it can drive you nuts! But Keynote on the iPad does look great.

12. lina231 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it the application that costs 9.99? Because that is the only one that I see. I downloaded keynote and can pull that up on my iCloud on my mac and put PPT on my iPad that way..

----------

I can make changes directly on keynote and add "presenter notes", which will just be the notes that I take in class. The only thing that bugs me a little is you can't see the slide and take notes at the same time.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

14. lina231 thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded it and I like it! But is there anyway to make the keyboard not be a giant iPhone keyboard?

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The app is running scaled mode. It is really an iPhone app running scaled up to fit the display of your iPad. Can someone at Microsoft explain to me why there is an Office app for iPhone, a four inch screen, and not one for an iPad, a more suitable device? Got to love Microsoft!

16. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Ya u would think they are more likely to make an ipad only app and no iphone app than an iPhone app that just zooms in...

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Especially considering it is more likely to create a document or presentation on an iPad rather than an iPhone. It would be rather ridiculous going to a meeting and taking notes on an iPhone.