Powerpoint video problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peyroteo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. peyroteo macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm having some issues with inserting movie files (3 x .MP4 & 1 x .MOV) into a Powerpoint presentation (latest version of Office for Mac).

I insert the files, and all four play fine. However, when I save and close the presentation, then re-open it, all four movies appear to have turned into pictures - instead of the Format Movie menu, I get the Format Picture menu (screenshot below). I've tried opening the presentation on a PC - same thing.

Any advice / help would be immensely appreciated :) I'm on a 2009 Mac Book, running 10.6.8. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I just did a quick test with a .mov file, and if you save the project as a .pptx file, it works fine. If you save as an old-school .ppt file, you get the poster image and no video. It explicitly warned me that some features of the file weren't supported in the format when I tried to save as .ppt, but I'm guessing you checked the "don't show this message again" box at some point in the past, so you didn't get that warning.

If you select "Compatibility Report" from the View menu, it will tell you exactly what the problem(s) might be with the current document. In the case of a presentation with a video in it, I quote:

So your only option, it would seem, is a .pptx file. I'm almost positive that earlier versions supported this with .ppt, so presumably they removed the ability from 2011 Mac.

[Edit: Yep, Powerpoint 2008 can save a .ppt with a movie, although notably it doesn't embed the video file within the .ppt, so it won't transfer well, and I seem to remember there being cross-platform problems with video-embeds on Windows. The .pptx, in contrast, actually contains the whole video, so it's a huge file, but robust in terms of copying it to another computer.]