Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silenahilena

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I have a Powershot A630 that I connected to my Mac via a USB cable. It is not recognizing the SD card within the camera. Furthermore, putting the SD card in my Digital Concepts SD reader (USB) isn't being recognized either. What's going on? I'm running on OS X 10.6.2.

silenahilena

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Just figured out the SD card reader problem. The SD card reader isn't working because it only takes up to 2GB. This is an 8GB card. As for the USB connection from the camera to the computer, I have no idea why..

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Is this the first time you've used the A630 with your Mac? Has it worked previously? Have you changed or updated anything?

silenahilena

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Yes, first time I've used it with my mac. I haven't changed anything. I'm beginning to think I might need at least 10.4...it says on the website that it's compatible with 10.4. The camera did come out in 2006. =/

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I think it should work with Snow Leopard. I've got an A510 that I use with Tiger so this might be different for you. To use the A510 I connect the USB cable to one of my iMacs USB ports (usually the keyboard port), switch it to playback mode and then turn it on. I use it with the Canon ImageBrowser software which automatically launches. If you don't have the Canon software installed I believe that either iPhoto or Image Capture will launch and ask if you want to make it your default app.

Is that the method you're trying? Does anything happen, or nothing at all?

jpdemers

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
New York, NY
Might need to update your software.

There is a Snow Leopard update to Canon's camera software:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...wnloadIndexAct

One possible glitch: you have to have the original software (from the CD that came with the camera) installed. Pain in the arse if you got the camera second-hand and don't have the CD. (Typical Canon: brilliant about hardware, but stupid about software.)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
silenahilena,

When you say "not recognizing", what exactly do you mean? Pretty much all Canon cameras, will not mount a volume on the desktop, like a Sony or Nikon will.

The camera is mounted, but not typically viewable/accessible via Finder. You'll need to use iPhoto or Image Capture to d/l the images and movies. I'm guessing other photo applications will work as well, but you definately have iPhoto and Image Capture on your Mac (unless you deleted them).

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.