Powersupply confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heero, Sep 12, 2010.

1. heero macrumors newbie

I am shopping for a used 15" pro book. I cant figure out when the new magnetic power cord was introduced, or if I need a 60 or 85w supply and when that transition went into effect. Thanks. I thought all unibodys had the new connection, but apparantly not?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

all MBP's have been using the magsafe for a long time. the 15 and 17 inch need the 85 watt

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They do.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

All 13" notebooks (whether macbook or mbp) are 60 watts, and all 15" macbook pros are 85.

AFAIK all magsafe chargers will work (ie I can use my old one to charge a new mbp), but if you can try to get the new one because it'll be less likely to fray.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's correct. The design of the MacSafe connector has not changed; only the cord has been redesigned, and both are cross-compatible.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the connector was changed , the socket was not

the cord is thicker.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Now we're just getting into semantics, but neither the male nor female end of the connector has been changed. The only noticeable difference is the thickness and right-angle design of the cord.

8. m4rk0 macrumors member

i was wondering whether i could use my old 85W magsafe adapter to power an i7 15" and i found this thread. :)
    it seems i can as, other than the posts you guys wrote, specs wise they boast the same output power, ie 85W, and share the same output current:

2009 T magsafe = 18.5V 4.6A / 16.5V 3.6A
    2011 L magsafe = 16.5 ~ 18.5 V / 4.6A max

the only difference being that, from what stated on the adapters, the old one provides two voltages while the new one has a variable voltage: is it possible?

9. m4rk0 macrumors member

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sorry, that wasn't helpful. One thing that page did have was a note about not using previous generation MacBook Air power adapters with the current generation. However there wasn't a similar note for the MacBook/Pro power adapters. From the info you've given I'd say they do the same thing, but I'm not an expert.

11. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Incorrect. The MBP 15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009, uses the 60W magsafe power adapter. I only know this because I own one and that is also what the apple site that is linked above shows. And FYI it uses the old connection.

12. m4rk0 macrumors member

no need to be sorry mate! :D:)
    yeah, the only information provided is what-magsafe-shipped-with-which-model; they say new magsafe adapters are compatible backwards* but don't explicitly say the opposite, i guess it's simply to push sales for new adapters. :rolleyes:
    maybe others could chime in, just to know whether there's a variable output voltage or not, making it just a different way of writing technical specs (which i'd say isn't technically written in the correct form).

* newer adapters should power and charge your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air just like the adapter that originally came with your computer.

yep, as well as early-2009 15" mbp.