Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B2FiNiTY

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011
the power support bumper should come with a few stickies to allow you to do this. The instructions included also point out this issue.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
FYI, if you guys have trouble with volume or power button responsiveness, a single piece of scotch tape,(cut down a little), will do the trick. Had a little issue with my volume buttons after a few days but the tape did the trick. Very responsive and "clicky".

Exactly ... I used electric tape and did the trick !

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia
Received mine today.

Coming from the Caze thinedge(going to girlfriend), the PS flat bumper is wider but has fantastic build quality. The Caze thinedge is really thin(lol) but it starts to discolor(which I cleaned however) and it has a little "give" on the side where the clip is. Thankfully it came with two clips so this wasn't a big issue. Now I had the silver version so this might be the reason why. The thinedge is still a great bumper..however..

The PS flat bumper is literally the best bumper. I used to have a Spigen bumper and it felt cheap. The PS is plastic and rubber too but in no way does it feel cheap. It has a nice matte feel that feels good too. The color matching with the black iphone(black bumper) is pretty surprising. Most cases just go for a straight black but this has a blue hue similar to the back of the iPhone, which is truly appealing to the eyes.

Concerning the power button responsiveness. I did have a slight issue where it would work but there'd be no click. I put on the sticker tabs afterwards though and now I get pretty good clicks. The volume buttons had no issues out the box. Comparing to the caze thinedge, you have to practically dig your finger into the grooves where the volume and power buttons were. So thats another point to the PS flat bumper.

Overall I give the PS flat bumper a 4.5 out of 5 because its expensive and is a little wide. By no means does that mean the case is bulky however. Owners will know what I'm talking about. If wideness is a concern for you, then I suggest staying away completely from Spigen bumpers and try Caze. Otherwise its

1.PS Flat Bumper
2.Caze

That's an excellent quick review. You've got all the main points listed!

& yes the Flat bumper is indeed a very, very good case for the iPhone 5. :)

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Here's my quick impressions from using it the last 2 days:

Look/Feel
The color is excellent. It's not 100% match to the slate on the edge of the black phone, but it's 95% a match. Perhaps it's the lighting affecting the 2 different materials though. Very very close, and it looks great.

The bumper is a little thicker than other bumpers, making the mute switch tough to reach. Larger fingers with well groomed fingernails might struggle to flip it quickly.

The slightly thicker frame does make the phone a little wider/taller overall but not enough to really be noticeable vs other bumpers, and the amazing lines of this bumper are worth any extra size.

There is a small amount of lip on the back allowing the rear of the phone not to touch the surface when laid down. The front has a tiny lip as well, and from what I can tell the screen doesn't touch either, but is very, very close.

The case is a nice tight fit, hopefully it won't stretch out over time, I'll report back if it does.

Interior is a nice rubber and I feel confident that it can't scratch the coating. Though let's be honest, that coating comes off if you stare at it hard enough...

Buttons
The dreaded buttons... No, I kid. They were not bad right out of the box. The top button had a slight click noise to it which was good. The vol down button had a great (almost too loud!) click, the top volume button however had a very faint response, but worked fine.

Last night I took 2 of the included stickers, one on the power button, and one on the vol+ button. Now the buttons all work fantastically. The Power has a noticeable click, and now the volume buttons have a good click and are nearly identical.

Extras
The front protector seems excellent. I used the clear one (also comes with a anti-glare). The clarity is great, and it installed perfectly (though that's more of a user issue than product for the most part). The fit is very good, in fact they have 3 holes cut out for the camera and sensors near the ear speaker. That attention to detail I liked.

The back protector is very nice so far. It has a "gel-like" feel similar to Best Skins Ever which I usually use but was a dry install (BSE is a wet). This one went on nicely as well, allowing me to reposition many times to get the perfect alignment. It was pretty easy to squeegee most bubbles out, but after a while some small ones returned. After a day or so, most disappeared. My only complaint with the back is that there are air pocket areas on the upper seam (where the 2 materials meet) which comes back after squeegeeing. It's not too bad, but I'll keep pressing it out and see if it goes away after a few more days.

Summary
Definitely the best bumper I've tried by miles. The build quality is excellent, and the manufacturer's attention to detail is very obvious.

While adding a small amount of bulk over other bumpers, the smooth lines and very close color matching makes this bumper blend right in and look natural on the phone.

Overall I'm extremely pleased. I hope this will make me stop scouring the web for a case finally.

Last edited:

Gooter

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
Chicagoland

Look/Feel
The color is excellent. It's not 100% match to the slate on the edge of the black phone, but it's 95% a match. Perhaps it's the lighting affecting the 2 different materials though. Very very close, and it looks great.

The bumper is a little thicker than other bumpers, making the mute switch tough to reach. Larger fingers with well groomed fingernails might struggle to flip it quickly.

The slightly thicker frame does make the phone a little wider/taller overall but not enough to really be noticeable vs other bumpers, and the amazing lines of this bumper are worth any extra size.

There is a small amount of lip on the back allowing the rear of the phone not to touch the surface when laid down. The front has a tiny lip as well, and from what I can tell the screen doesn't touch either, but is very, very close.

The case is a nice tight fit, hopefully it won't stretch out over time, I'll report back if it does.

Interior is a nice rubber and I feel confident that it can't scratch the coating. Though let's be honest, that coating comes off if you stare at it hard enough...

Buttons
The dreaded buttons... No, I kid. They were not bad right out of the box. The top button had a slight click noise to it which was good. The vol down button had a great (almost too loud!) click, the top volume button however had a very faint response, but worked fine.

Last night I took 2 of the included stickers, one on the power button, and one on the vol+ button. Now the buttons all work fantastically. The Power has a noticeable click, and now the volume buttons are nearly identical in feel/response.

Extras
The front protector seems excellent. I used the clear one (also comes with a anti-glare). The clarity is great, and it installed perfectly (though that's more of a user issue than product for the most part). The fit is very good, in fact they have 3 holes cut out for the camera and sensors near the ear speaker. That attention to detail I liked.

The back protector is very nice so far. It has a "gel-like" feel similar to Best Skins Ever which I usually use but was a dry install (BSE is a wet). This one went on nicely as well, allowing me to reposition many times to get the perfect alignment. It was pretty easy to squeegee most bubbles out, but after a while some small ones returned. After a day or so, most disappeared. My only complaint with the back is that there are air pocket areas on the upper seam (where the 2 materials meet) which comes back after squeegeeing. It's not too bad, but I'll keep pressing it out and see if it goes away after a few more days.

Summary
Definitely the best bumper I've tried by miles. The build quality is excellent, and the manufacturer's attention to detail is very obvious.

While adding a small amount of bulk over other bumpers, the smooth lines and very close color matching makes this bumper blend right in and look natural on the phone.

Overall I'm extremely pleased. I hope this will make me stop scouring the web for a cases finally.

Great review! How about some action pics please?

Thanks

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Great review! How about some action pics please?

Thanks

I'm embarrassed to say that my iPhone 5 is probably the best camera I own... lol

I'll try to snap some with my GFs iPhone 5 after work and post them, but be prepared for sub-par images! ;)

Last edited:

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
My PS arrived my country today, hopefully tomorrow i will be receiving it, I cant wait anymore. If i dont get it tomorrow i will have to wait until 27/02 because on monday I will be on holidays on another country, so please, Mr customs, i want it tomorrow!!!!! Jajaja

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
thanks for the detailed and excellent review.

i don't mind bulk in width and height, but do you mind confirming previous posts regarding the thickness of the phone in the case and measuring your phone's thickness while in the case.

that's the dimension that is important to me. i don't mind if the footprint is bigger, but i do want to keep the phone as close to the 7.6mm thickness as possible.

( i know one person cited 0.9cm and would be great to get confirmation of that thickness)...i have a case already that is about 0.98cm and my friends elgato slim is about 0.94cm which is noticeably thinner than mine but leaves the chamfer edge slightly exposed.

sorry i'm being overly detailed here, but to me that last 0.5cm is important and i certainly don't want to end up with something thicker or the same as my Belkin Candy Sheer! (which i am happy with...it works well, but i wouldn't mind something thinner and with the looks of this bumper)

Look/Feel

finally, those stickers: do they get applied to the bumper or the phone? (i hope they are applied to the bumper as i would imagine that the other option might mar the black anodizing of the phone itself)

Buttons

Last night I took 2 of the included stickers, one on the power button, and one on the vol+ button. Now the buttons all work fantastically. The Power has a noticeable click, and now the volume buttons have a good click and are nearly identical.

Extras

Summary

Overall I'm extremely pleased. I hope this will make me stop scouring the web for a case finally.

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
thanks for the detailed and excellent review.

i don't mind bulk in width and height, but do you mind confirming previous posts regarding the thickness of the phone in the case and measuring your phone's thickness while in the case.

that's the dimension that is important to me. i don't mind if the footprint is bigger, but i do want to keep the phone as close to the 7.6mm thickness as possible.

( i know one person cited 0.9cm and would be great to get confirmation of that thickness)...i have a case already that is about 0.98cm and my friends elgato slim is about 0.94cm which is noticeably thinner than mine but leaves the chamfer edge slightly exposed.

sorry i'm being overly detailed here, but to me that last 0.5cm is important and i certainly don't want to end up with something thicker or the same as my Belkin Candy Sheer! (which i am happy with...it works well, but i wouldn't mind something thinner and with the looks of this bumper)

Sorry, I do not have any tool to measure so fine a size. I'm just the casual (addicted) case buyer. :( Maybe one of the other purchases with a tool can tell us though.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Sorry, I do not have any tool to measure so fine a size. I'm just the casual (addicted) case buyer. :( Maybe one of the other purchases with a tool can tell us though.

no worries. can you confirm that it is noticeably less than 1 cm?

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Here's some pictures taken with another iPhone 5.

Sorry for the lint...it was in my pocket much of the day, and that darn macro lens on the phone picked it up way more than my own eyes did!

You can see where the back protector does not want to stick perfectly on that seam. Also, sorry it's hard to compare the color of the side vs the back when I have a glossy protector on the back.

Attachments

• PSBumper1.jpg
    PSBumper1.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 235
  • PSBumper2.jpg
    PSBumper2.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 228
  • PSBumper3.jpg
    PSBumper3.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 239

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
no worries. can you confirm that it is noticeably less than 1 cm?

You're referring to this thickness right? (see image)

The best I have is a crude tape measure, but from what I can see it is .9cm right on the nose. That's from the edge of the rubber too, not just the slate colored part.

Attachments

• PSBumperSize.jpg
    PSBumperSize.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
Here's some pictures taken with another iPhone 5.

Sorry for the lint...it was in my pocket much of the day, and that darn macro lens on the phone picked it up way more than my own eyes did!

You can see where the back protector does not want to stick perfectly on that seam. Also, sorry it's hard to compare the color of the side vs the back when I have a glossy protector on the back.

I had this case but returned it because it was too slippery for me. What i did figure out to use was the back protector. Attach a piece of tape to the top part of the back protector and lift it up. ONLY UP TO WERE THE BUBBLES ARE. Then with your finger or a card or something push it closed again. You might need to do this more than once, but thats how i was able to get the bubbles out.

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I had this case but returned it because it was too slippery for me. What i did figure out to use was the back protector. Attach a piece of tape to the top part of the back protector and lift it up. ONLY UP TO WERE THE BUBBLES ARE. Then with your finger or a card or something push it closed again. You might need to do this more than once, but thats how i was able to get the bubbles out.

Oh ok, I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
You're referring to this thickness right? (see image)

The best I have is a crude tape measure, but from what I can see it is .9cm right on the nose. That's from the edge of the rubber too, not just the slate colored part.

Super! Yes. That is the dimension I'm curious about. Guess I should take a chance and order one.

Gooter

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
Chicagoland
Thanks for the pics!

1. Is the chamfered edge on both the front and back fully protected/covered? Looks like the teensy top of the edge shows. If yes, could it potentially get scratched (keys in same pocket with phone)?

2. If I get this bumper I would use it with my Bodyguardz Pure. I think it was previously mentioned that the Pure works with this bumper but you lose any lay on table protection if it had any to begin with. Is this correct?

3. Are bumper style cases harder to keep clean in that lint, dust, etc seems to gather in the gaps between the bumper and the phone? Does the bumper need to be removed a lot to keep it clean? Any foreseeable issues with the Pure?

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
Just received mine today, the case looks perfect, but not happy with the fitment, it has much give on the bottom, and the left side, not really happy, its very expensive for this failure.
And it will attract a lot of dust because it doesnt cover all the sides perfect.
I expected much more from this case.

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
1. Is the chamfered edge on both the front and back fully protected/covered? Looks like the teensy top of the edge shows. If yes, could it potentially get scratched (keys in same pocket with phone)?

2. If I get this bumper I would use it with my Bodyguardz Pure. I think it was previously mentioned that the Pure works with this bumper but you lose any lay on table protection if it had any to begin with. Is this correct?

3. Are bumper style cases harder to keep clean in that lint, dust, etc seems to gather in the gaps between the bumper and the phone? Does the bumper need to be removed a lot to keep it clean? Any foreseeable issues with the Pure?

1) The edge is fully covered on the back side. On the front the tiny edge of the chamfered edge is not covered, but the beveled part is. (let me know if I need to explain that better, it's tough to put to words)

2) I do not know anything about the Bodyguardz product so I can't comment on that. If you are referring to side (edge) guards, I would say that I can not imagine this fitting on top of those. It's already a really tight fit to slide on and I expect even that tiny extra material would make this not fit. As far as back protectors go the bumper does not overlap any of the rear/front surface so as long as a back protector does not extend past the edge of the back face it should be fine.

3) As the post above me says, the case is not a solid fit to the sides. There's some gap (mostly due to the buttons pressing against it) And there will always be with flexible rubber cases. Only a hard case will stay truly flat against the sides. Due to this you do indeed get lint into the case, but this happens with hard cases too. I haven't yet, but I do expect to have to remove the case a couple times a month to wipe off accumulated lint - however I've never had a case I didn't do this with so not much change there for me personally.

----------

Just received mine today, the case looks perfect, but not happy with the fitment, it has much give on the bottom, and the left side, not really happy, its very expensive for this failure.
And it will attract a lot of dust because it doesnt cover all the sides perfect.
I expected much more from this case.

We're a funny group us case addicts. We want the cases to be as thin as possible, but to somehow be as rigid as solid steel. Rubber bends, hard plastic can even after a while. If you're looking for something that is a solid fit you'd have to try the Caze bumper I suspect, but I do not know if that is a soft material on the inside and I would fear it would scratch the (stupidly) delicate coating on the chamfered edge.

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
1) The edge is fully covered on the back side. On the front the tiny edge of the chamfered edge is not covered, but the beveled part is. (let me know if I need to explain that better, it's tough to put to words)

2) I do not know anything about the Bodyguardz product so I can't comment on that. If you are referring to side (edge) guards, I would say that I can not imagine this fitting on top of those. It's already a really tight fit to slide on and I expect even that tiny extra material would make this not fit. As far as back protectors go the bumper does not overlap any of the rear/front surface so as long as a back protector does not extend past the edge of the back face it should be fine.

3) As the post above me says, the case is not a solid fit to the sides. There's some gap (mostly due to the buttons pressing against it) And there will always be with flexible rubber cases. Only a hard case will stay truly flat against the sides. Due to this you do indeed get lint into the case, but this happens with hard cases too. I haven't yet, but I do expect to have to remove the case a couple times a month to wipe off accumulated lint - however I've never had a case I didn't do this with so not much change there for me personally.

----------

We're a funny group us case addicts. We want the cases to be as thin as possible, but to somehow be as rigid as solid steel. Rubber bends, hard plastic can even after a while. If you're looking for something that is a solid fit you'd have to try the Caze bumper I suspect, but I do not know if that is a soft material on the inside and I would fear it would scratch the (stupidly) delicate coating on the chamfered edge.

Yess jeje, I ordered a caze thinedge a few weeks ago so i will see if i like it more than the PS, its not a bad case, it looks great, but I am not really happy with the fittment, now i am looking everytime to the small gap that I have on the left side and I am becoming crazyy jajajaj

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Yess jeje, I ordered a caze thinedge a few weeks ago so i will see if i like it more than the PS, its not a bad case, it looks great, but I am not really happy with the fittment, now i am looking everytime to the small gap that I have on the left side and I am becoming crazyy jajajaj

Let me know what the interior of the Caze is. I had been considering getting it before I found this bumper, but had planned on using it with an edge protector underneath, if it would fit.

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
Let me know what the interior of the Caze is. I had been considering getting it before I found this bumper, but had planned on using it with an edge protector underneath, if it would fit.

Ok, as soon as i receive it, i will tell you, but I am sure its kind hard plastic or something like that. The good thing of the caze is that you hold the two parts of the case with a clip, so hopefully it will not have any give.

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
I took it off, and came back to the poetic borderline bumper, much better for me, and fits much better too. I will have to wait until i received the caZe... Will see..

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Hey guys. I have had the Blue case for a week or two (found a buyer for it). I just got the Black and I'm loving it. I posted a mini-review on my blog. Check it out.

http://www.techmusings.me/3/post/20...fection-i-meant-power-support-perfection.html

----------

The Caze can be hit or miss with the fit. Two of mine (I have 3) have a slight "creak" on the side. Nothing major but noticeable at times.

Last edited:

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.