Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanrobb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
The computer quit working. I cleaned it with a non-wet cloth and when I went to start back up the computer it would just do the following:

- The front white LED will come on when i press the power button to turn on, then the LED would shut off as the computer boots

- Signal will not go to Monitor

- Fan's do come on high speed then the lower speed right away

- No Chime

- The CD Drive will run to make sure no CD is in drive

After about 2 min the fan will slowly speed up

- My USB Apple mouse will work but the keyboard (still works with my other mac) does not work, no caps lock key, no power from the usb outputs.

Let me know if anyone has a clue what could be going on here. Thank you very much. :confused:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Weird. Check that ALL the cables are plugged in securely at both ends of the wire, including all power cords, the video cable, all the USB cables etc.

That's probably not the problem, but it is the first thing you should check.

seanrobb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Weird. Check that ALL the cables are plugged in securely at both ends of the wire, including all power cords, the video cable, all the USB cables etc.

That's probably not the problem, but it is the first thing you should check.

Yeah, I checked all of that, did the little reset thing on the motherboard, same issue.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
When you say you cleaned it, tell us specifically what you cleaned and how you cleaned it. You took a dry cloth and ran it over exactly which parts?

seanrobb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
When you say you cleaned it, tell us specifically what you cleaned and how you cleaned it. You took a dry cloth and ran it over exactly which parts?

I stayed away from the logicboard and video card. Took a vacuum to the front and back of the tower on the outside, cleaned off the fans. Just the basic remove dust from the moving parts. I pulled out the bottom set of fans and the top set that also has the speaker attached.

I plugged it back into to my network and found that the router does not recognize that the computer is plugged in (no lights) and attempted to do the boot CD to see if I hear the drive working while holding down C on the keyboard but as I figured, the keyboard is not being responsive.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
hhhmmm

Have you reset PRAM?

If it isn't chiming, then either there's a loose connection to a vital bit of kit, or a vital bit of kit has failed, or the internal speaker which chimes has failed.

It isn't likely to be the speaker, but there's always that chance...

I don't envy your position...

Tell us how it goes.

F

seanrobb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Have you reset PRAM?

If it isn't chiming, then either there's a loose connection to a vital bit of kit, or a vital bit of kit has failed, or the internal speaker which chimes has failed.

It isn't likely to be the speaker, but there's always that chance...

I don't envy your position...

Tell us how it goes.

F

How does one go to reset the PRAM without keyboard functionality? And this position got me a new mac, so no worries, just would like to figure out what the heck went wrong, get it fixed, and have yet another mac in the household. :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I stayed away from the logicboard and video card. Took a vacuum to the front and back of the tower on the outside, cleaned off the fans. Just the basic remove dust from the moving parts. I pulled out the bottom set of fans and the top set that also has the speaker attached.

Let me just make sure I have this information correct. With the tower fully closed, you ran a small hand vacuum over the front and back surfaces of the tower chassis. I'm confused as to how and when (and why frankly) you pulled out the fans and other stuff. I ask because it sound to me like there are three possibilities. Either you 1) disconnected something that didn't get reconnected, 2) damaged something physically during the process, or 3) fried a component of your computer with a static shock. There may well be other possibilities, but I can't think of any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.